I have had these twice now but today after only sleeping 4hrs some of which was sitting upright it happened during the day. I have spoken to oncology about meds but they wanted a chest x-ray first to rule out anything physical. Waiting for it to be read and no meds for tonite. Hopefully tomorrow as the lack of sleep is exacerbating the situation. I wondered if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to cope. I have never been able to meditate.
Answer Summary
Members came together with great compassion to support someone experiencing nighttime panic attacks that were disrupting their sleep during... Read more
Hi
I agree with TonyaBeauchamp, if you need need anxiety meds, then you need them 🤗
Hopefully, your xray will show nothing and your team.will ne able.to prescribe something to help fix this problem. Good Luck girl 🤗
Hello Leokadia, this comment is so long will make you sleepy:)
You’ve brought up a topic which is so important because I too suffer from anxiety/panic attacks plus take an antidepressant. I was dx with MS when I turned 50 and 61 dx with breast cancer.
I’m 76 young chick now! I will express my own feelings and how panic attacks affect me. Also, since MS I’ve been seeing a psychologist for cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). I need to get things off my chest and when I do, it helps to have a therapist to give you feedback. I usually write down one liners to bring him up to date as to what’s going on in my life and how I’ve been feeling. This saves time and gives more time for discussion. I probably have ADHD, found myself always wanting to do many things bored as a kid. Used to say to my parents, I”M BORED! Now I say I’M BORED TO myself!. Now I dread having the feeling I’m supposed to get sleepy but I’m not! In fact, I start panicking BEFORE it’s time to wind down Get tired of hearing the same thing: cool bedroom, turn off all electronic devices, do breathing exercises, read a book, watch tv till I fall asleep then wake up at 5:00 to go to bed? They always say, don’t eat so many hours before bed and no alcohol. No stimulation. What I really feel like doing is calling an anesthesiologist to put me to sleep for at least 7 hours!
So here’s what I’ve been doing, knowing I’m going to be pacing like a tiger in a cage, I sit down with my laptop, like I’m doing now, I’m typing positive things, no stressful actions, get up eat a bowl of strawberries or a small bowl of cottage cheese with blueberries. Still not sleepy. I drink water, by this time it is 1:30am Sometimes a little earlier…..So I say to myself, “I’d better go to bed now it’s really late….so off I go to bed. Try flipping pillows around to find comfy side, cover up, lay there, eyes closed…..start flipping again and if I flip more than 20 minutes, sleep experts say GET OUT OF BED! So I go back to watch television and do not use any electronic devices.
Finally it’s really late, 3:30am , I take 1 mg of alprazolam and I go to bed. My Apple Watch is very ANGRY with me because it tells me HOW I slept during the night! Which gives me stress to read my sleep report. By now, you’re probably thinking, “how in the hell” is this girl’s comments helping me?
Well, I finally called the doctor spoke with nurse and they upped my Ambien to highest level which is time released. I take 12.5 mg ER.
That ONE little pill keeps me from jumping back out of bed. So far, the past 2 nights, I have slept in my bed at least 6 hours straight.
What my Apple Watch should have is a STUN GUN on it if I should try to get out of bed! I wish you the very best going to “Slumberland””…..bah hum bug LOL!
Will keep you informed if I’m successful in Slumberland.
Hugs, Kaye🥰
Thank you all. The doctor did prescribe Lorazepam to use as needed. Last night was iffy but just knowing I had the pills if it got bad enabled me to gain control and not spiral. Strange new world for all of us. Again, thank you. Knowing I was not the only one also helped.
Panic attacks are terrible! I hate that you are going through this. My psychiatrist recommended l-theanine to help with stress before bed. If you try it, make sure you don’t have any caffeine for several hours before bed. Of course, as with anything, check with your doctor. I have also used extremely sour candy and listerene strips to stop a panic attack.
Don’t be ashamed to get on anxiety meds if you need them and the doctor approves. Cancer is stressful enough as it is. You have to rest to heal.
Hi Leokadia….forgot to tell you what I take for panic attacks: Xanax It was designed for anxiety. Just got a bad name due to people abusing it. It’s the ONLY medicine for panic attacks for me. I’ve tried several.🥰 Kaye
How long did it take for effective pain management with surgery ( debulking, TAH, splenectomy, etc).