Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Long Beach, CA

I will be going for my second infusion for stage 3C serous carcinoma ovarian cancer on 9/1.

August 24
 · 
Be the first to react
MyOvarianCancerTeam

Allergic reactions to Taxol (paclitaxel) are actually quite common, and oncology teams are very experienced in managing them. It's great that you're thinking ahead before your second infusion!

Here are some ways oncologists typically manage Taxol reactions:

- Pre-medications – Most teams give antihistamines, steroids, and Show Full Answer

Allergic reactions to Taxol (paclitaxel) are actually quite common, and oncology teams are very experienced in managing them. It's great that you're thinking ahead before your second infusion!

Here are some ways oncologists typically manage Taxol reactions:

- Pre-medications – Most teams give antihistamines, steroids, and other medications before the infusion to reduce reaction risk
- Slowing the infusion rate – If a reaction occurs, slowing down the drip can help the body adjust
- Stopping and restarting – The infusion may be paused, the reaction treated, then carefully restarted
- Switching medications – In some cases, an alternative like Abraxane (nab-paclitaxel) may be considered

The most important thing is to be open and honest with your oncology team about any concerns or symptoms you experienced during your first infusion — even mild ones like flushing, itching, or chest tightness. Your care team is there to support your comfort and safety throughout treatment. Don't hesitate to call them before 9/1 if you have questions — that's exactly what they're there for! 💛

August 24
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Jessica, it ended up going surprisingly well! I was nervous going in because they weren’t able to do the premeds the night before due to a scheduling mix up, but they did the morning ones, then slowly did the Taxol drip over 6 hours or so, gradually increasing it. This was my second Taxol infusion. The first one, I had a similar reaction to you but milder, very hot, sweaty and nauseous initially, followed by chest pain. The chest pain was scary since it felt like it might be my heart, but they had already stopped the infusion and pumped me with Benadryl and Pepcid. They also called doctor, then gave me about 30 min. before they moved on to the Carboplatin. The Carboplatin was fast and no reaction.
My next one is planned for 9/23, with premeds the night and morning before the slow infusion, a version of what they did last week. I feel better now that the second one worked. You should ask your oncologist about the desensitization; I was told only two hospitals in Southern California do it, UCI and City of Hope. I’m at UCI.
Best of luck to you! When is your next chemo?

September 9
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

How did that taxol go? Any reaction? I had a severe reaction that felt like anaphylactic shock, face flush red, throat tight, and chest heavy, heart pounding. They stopped called the doc. Waited 10
Min for me to feel a
Little
Normal again. Then pumped me full
Of more Benadryl and Pepcid. Then a slower drip. I did ok. I go in for my 2nd and will be asking the doctor before I go in. What was your reaction?

September 9
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Thanks Kaye. I did get all those premeds and still had a reaction. What they will do next is a desensitization process, where I stay overnight and they give me a dose of premeds that evening, then again in the morning, then they start with a micro dose with a nurse by me, then if I tolerate that well, the slowly increase every couple of hours. Based on what allergist said, most patients tolerate this well. Fingers crossed that this works for me too!

August 28
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hello DianaPearl,
I didn’t have a reaction because the oncologist puts other things into my infusion plus a nurse will be there standing by.
Here’s the prevention premedications: Steroid, antihistamine, Pepsid. Plus, they will start the drip slow.
I hope all goes well for you and there are no reactions.
Sending hugs from Cocoa, FL. Kaye🥰

August 28

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sunnyvale, CA