Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hacketts Cove Nova Scotia Canada

My ovarian cancer has reoccurred. I was in remission last June. Had a great summer. Shower I have had 2 chemo treatments this spring and will have a third July 20th followed by a CT scan . Then three more treatments. Will I be able to enjoy swimming this summer in Nova Scotia?

July 3
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I agree with the above regarding checking with your team and following their guidance.
Swimming is my happy place for exercise, relaxation and stretching.

I do cover my port with tagament and never swim in the first 24 hours post access of any kind. I feel it has helped tremendously to do water aerobics with my neuropathy and overall sense of physical and there for emotional well being. I hope you find some safe windows to swim!

July 7
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Thanks Judy. So sorry to hear your journey is a painful one these days. It’s so true that positivity and glass half-full attitude is hugely important. But I bet it is challenging when pain is ever present. Sending you hugs through your own journey.

July 24
MyOvarianCancerTeam

It's wonderful that you're thinking ahead and planning for a great summer in Nova Scotia — that kind of positive outlook really matters! The good news is that staying active during chemo is generally encouraged, but swimming does come with some important considerations during treatment.

Here are some key things to keep in Show Full Answer

It's wonderful that you're thinking ahead and planning for a great summer in Nova Scotia — that kind of positive outlook really matters! The good news is that staying active during chemo is generally encouraged, but swimming does come with some important considerations during treatment.

Here are some key things to keep in mind:

- Infection risk: Chemo can lower your immune system, making public pools or open water potentially risky due to bacteria. Always check with your oncologist before swimming.
- Port or IV site protection: If you have a chemo port, it must be fully healed and protected — submerging it in water is usually not recommended.
- Energy levels: Fatigue is common during chemo. On good days, gentle swimming or wading may feel wonderful. Listen to your body.
- Skin sensitivity: Chemo can cause dry or sensitive skin, so rinse off thoroughly after swimming and moisturize well afterward.
- Timing matters: Many people feel better in the days between chemo cycles. Your July 20th treatment and the spacing of your sessions may allow for some good windows of activity. The most important step is to talk with your oncology team before diving in (pun intended 🌊). They can advise based on your specific treatment, blood counts, and how your body is responding. With their guidance, there's a real chance you can enjoy some of Nova Scotia's beautiful waters this summer!

July 3
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Lynn, I am so glad you are savoring all the things. I have been reduced to likely never being a surgery candidate and like you had a Carboplatin/taxol/Avastin round on July 20 with two more before scan. I did use the time after second opinion while waiting for next course of action to get in and swim. I unfortunately have developed(seemingly unrelated) a an ulnar nerve entrapment on 7/4 which has caused tremendous pain and inhibited even some simple self care. I have gotten PT and acupuncture and things have improved a bit. The chemo side effects are hard to discern lots of zinging abdominally that I have never had before. 🤷‍♀️
So glad you are seizing each day and enjoying each adventure God put in your life rather than finding the glass half empty. It really does make a difference.

July 22
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Lynn, I’m so sorry about your reoccurrence. Your attitude is inspirational! Praying for complete healing!

July 21

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Rowlett, TX

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
VICKY81_15@HOTMAIL.COM

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In