Answer Summary
Members shared a wide range of experiences with the question of doing chemo without a port, with many confirming they completed multiple... Read more
In my opinion, it’s really important to have a port—not only for your own comfort and safety, but for the ease and efficiency of the nurses who are devoting their time to your well being during your infusion.
With drugs like DOXIL, I learned there is a real risk of extravasation—meaning that the medication can leak out into surrounding tissue and cause pain tissue damage and scarring. Doxil carries that risk and I’m not sure what other medication‘s may also. I would definitely have a talk with my doctor about the potential safety issues of not having a port.🤍
I was not asked if I didn't want one but I cannot imagine taking the risks of the chemo undiluted in my veins. I mean the infussion nurses cover themslves in special gowns to hang the chemo! With the port the stuff travels in a tube inside the vein and empties just above my heart where, I understand, it immediately pumps through and is diluted into my blood stream. Plus honestly, my veins are thin and many valves so even the best of them were blowing first sticks to the point that I also go to the infusion center for my blood draws. I also have a IIIC/presumptive IV HGSOC that was not operable so will be in active Chemo the rest of my life they tell me, so I hope there are lots of treatments to come(means I am still here enjoying the other things life has to offer.) I do believe I would do more research and weigh the information for what is best for you! Best of Luck!🙏🏼 Judy N
Yes, chemo can be given without a port — through a regular IV into a vein instead. Some people do go this route, though it does come with some trade-offs worth knowing about.
Without a port, each treatment session requires a new needle stick to find a vein. Over time, repeated punctures can make veins harder to access and Show Full Answer
I started without a port but upon recurrence, I had one put in and it's still there. I love it actually because they started using the veins in my hands and that hurts. I'd say it was worth it.
I did chemo without port. If I recur I may consider a port