Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
October 9, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared overwhelmingly positive experiences about keeping their ports in place after finishing chemo, with most reporting they've had... Read more

Members shared overwhelmingly positive experiences about keeping their ports in place after finishing chemo, with most reporting they've had theirs for 2-5 years and flush them every 3 months as a practical safeguard against recurrence. Several members described how having a port ready made an unexpected recurrence easier to manage, eliminated the pain and difficulty of finding usable veins, and allowed convenient access for routine bloodwork and CT scans. A recurring theme was the emotional and practical peace of mind that comes from keeping the port, with many members viewing the minor inconvenience of regular flushing as a small price to pay for being prepared, though some acknowledged mixed feelings about the physical reminder of their cancer journey.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

You and I are of like mind KateX. I rang the bell too even tho I didn't want to. I guess it's sort of like "a rite of passage." πŸ˜‚β€οΈ

July 6, 2025
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Deborah! do you put Lidocaine cream on the port an hour before the access the port? It really kind of numbs the area and you don't feel it that much. πŸ™πŸ»β€οΈ

November 14, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I have had mine since January 2022. Last chemo treatment was June 2022. I get my port flushed every 60 days. I pray I can keep mine for as long as I can. It makes having bloodwork and scans done easier.

October 12, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Yes I have had mine for 5 years no problem with it

October 9, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I'm going on year 4. They monitored my bloodwork for 2 years after but continue to use my port to pull my CA125
They said 2 more years and they will be taking it out. I will miss it

October 9, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
San Clemente, CA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Finland, MN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In