Im on my first reocourrence and being treated with Carbo Doxil and Avastin. Im finding this to be much more difficult to handle emotionally and physically. More nausea, lots more fatigue, depression, sadness and anxiety. Wondering if going on medication might help.Has anyone done this to help cope?
Answer Summary
Members dealing with depression, sadness, and anxiety during ovarian cancer recurrence and treatment warmly supported one another, with many... Read more
6/20/26 Sat.
Good day JulieZ, Julie4, Janice7, Patricia, and CarrieH
I got to thinking (uhoh…dangerous)….but I do research…..so many girls have been allergic to Avastin so I got to thinking, maybe I need to really find out the ingredients. You won’t believe this …and I’ll tell you why….I have MS was taking Avonex shot and it was derived from female Chinese hamster ovaries.
Guess what? So is Avastin..
Janice, No wonder you were hospitalized! It can be VERY severe.
People can experience hypersensitivity or allergic reactions to Avastin (bevacizumab) due to its murine-derived protein structure, ‘’. (Murine = Mouse)
Here it is:
Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cell residues, and chemical stabilizers like polysorbate 20. While it is a humanized antibody, its foreign biological origins and chemical formulation trigger the immune system to perceive it as a threat.
The underlying factors driving these reactions fall into four primary categories:
1. Residual Animal Proteins (CHO Cells)
Avastin is a monoclonal antibody manufactured using Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cell lines. The Culprit: Even after meticulous laboratory purification, minute traces of host cell proteins (HCPs) from the hamsters can remain in the final fluid.
The Reaction: Patients who have a baseline sensitivity to rodent proteins or CHO cell products can experience a sudden immune response upon exposure.
2. Murine (Mouse) Genetic
Murine (Mouse) Genetic is a "humanized" monoclonal antibody, meaning it is engineered to be roughly 93% human.
The Culprit: The remaining portion (~7%) consists of murine (mouse) protein loops designed to bind to human VEGF (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor).
The Reaction: Because it is not 100% human, a patient's immune system can recognize the mouse-derived components as foreign invaders.
This prompts the body to create anti-drug antibodies (ADAs), which can lead to rapid-onset hypersensitivity.
3. Excipient Sensitivity (Polysorbates) Many severe reactions to biologics like Avastin are not triggered by the active medicine itself, but by the chemical stabilizers added to the vial.
The Culprit: Avastin contains polysorbate (specifically polysorbate 20), a non-ionic surfactant used to keep the antibody protein from clumping together.
The Reaction: Polysorbates can undergo natural degradation over time, creating peroxide radicals that directly activate mast cells.
This induces "pseudo-anaphylaxis" (anaphylactoid reactions)—a severe reaction that presents exactly like a classic allergy but happens without prior exposure to the drug.
Bottom line: Looks like there are 3 possible allergies related to Avastin:
Residual Animal Proteins
Mouse (Murine) Protein
Polysorbate degredation over time
If poloysorbate degrades over time, I’m going to find out if this has a shelf life.
I do hope everyone’s day is a good one.
Sending big healthy vibes!
🥰. Kaye
Hi Julie Z,
I’m so glad you reached out. The opposite of staying in depression is connection…if only it were that simple.
I’ve lived my whole life with depression and anxiety. I even got my MSW in Social Work to “find out what is wrong with me.” I’ve been on Lexapro for 40 years. The issue with psych meds is different meds work for different folks and finding that sweet spot is hard. But they do work.
The kicker is chicken vs. egg…ie; do you have depression because the medication is causing physiological changes in your brain or is it because you are experiencing a traumatizing event. A little of both??
There are some folks that never get depression. Their brains just “don’t go there.” It’s a biological thing.
I see mental illness as like having a broken leg, except they can’t figure out what medicine to give or find the exact thing that causes it.
I use a 2 fold approach to keep my depression at bay and it works. Meds and behavior. I follow this plan everyday. I can explain it in depth if that is something you’d find helpful.
Depression is just as hard, if not harder than cancer because it’s a cancer of the mind and and it’s totally invisible to everyone except its victim.
Sending compassion and good vibes!
No wonder I was craving a jog on hamster wheel.
Julie, unfortunately I have had the same. I don't know if the chemo cocktail attributes or if it's just the recurrence itself. I agree that Zyprexa has been helpful with N/V/appetite and sleep! I am working on mindful living/mindset and trying to live in the present. Might need to wear a shock collar and zap myself when the brain starts going to the dark places...that might work. Wishing you the best
Hello JulieZamora or could I just call you JulieZ?
There might be more Julies…😄.
You’ve asked a very important question that has affected many. Thank you so much for reaching out!
Sadness affects primarily the teal sister and secondary a family member or caregiver.
As a Teal Sister advocate I can speak for myself and I’m sure other sisters manage sadness in other ways. You will receive lots of good advice from many.
You are not alone….For example: I am going through depression right now due to the loss of my best friend (we journeyed together for years with OC) and I have MS.
However, since MS dx in 2000, have a great psychologists (cognitive behavioral therapy) 20+ years. His suggestions have been priceless and I can text or call him anytime.
From my own personal experience, I take an antidepressant named Pristiq. Everyone is different but this one is right for me.
If you suffer from panic attacks or need sleep aid, please ask your family doctor.
Sometimes we feel frozen and do not desire to do anything, we even withdraw, so this is why it is good to reach out just like you have done! You are seeking information which is super smart. sometimes contact your doctor. I’ve tried meditation, deep breathing, being in nature, focused on good nutrition, visited friends, called friends, but when all those fail, we sometimes need a little help with medication/nutrition so we can sleep and manage our daily activities.
This site for example, our Teal Sisters here, have been MIRACLE WORKERS for me!
I feel like I can vent, just like I’m doing now. JulieZ, our connection here is tight!I
It’s Real! We are here for a good reason and we help one another during our sunny days and blue days.
Do you have family or live alone? I live alone without pets and boy it’s tough.
What helps me the most is knowing I have a connection with someone who listens to me and cares.
Also the medication aids me like adjunct therapy. I’ve read books, watched podcasts, etc. but when you;re overwhelmed it’s a different story.
Our dear Teal Sister, Willow, refers to the OC journey as a “shit storm” and she’s right. Call a spade a spade! My best friend said, “I’m doing the best I can and the Best I can is all that I CAN do!” She really was smart and had a good attitude.
We had humor…. It’s important especially with OC due to the nature of the beast! Emotionally it has been referred to as a journey, roller coaster ride, but I think Willow called it the best!
Hang in there JulieZ.
Sending you lots of healing vibes with super hugs.
🥰 Kaye