I'm undergoing chemo after my first recurrence, two cycles were without any problems, on the third one the nurse decided to speed things up and gave my Benadryl simultaneously with CarboPlatin, which might or might have not contributed to my reaction, and then she told me that I'm not going on CarboPlatin again. I haven't seen my oncologist yet, after this incident, but I'm a little worried about my options.
Exactly as Beloved Sam wrote. The problem was the simultaneous infusion of Benadryl and Carbo, not your body.
Contact your oncologist. I’m so sorry you have to advocate for yourself. Your nurse was being impatient. Good catch!
@A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member
Hello!💕 I very much wanted to contribute here because during my first recurrence, second infusion, I had a profound carboplatin allergic reaction which they had to bring me back from, so to speak! The nurse practitioner came in and said she thought I might not be able to continue with carboplatin. But I learned so much and wanted to tell you to please look up RDD (rapid drug desensitization), there is a lot of very good information—because allergic carboplatin reactions during first recurrence treatment are pretty common! Long story, but we did RDD for the remainder of my infusions, and I was able to tolerate carboplatin for the duration. I’ve attached a bit of info here, but what happens is they just administer the Carboplatin gradually (called titration) plus more premeds than usual (steroids the night before and the morning of infusion, etc). I want to encourage you to advocate for your carboplatin! Please report back with news if you get a chance!
@A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member
Hello, thank you so much for your response, I knew I could count on my Team of Teal Sisters to make me feel validated and give me courage to advocate for myself, which is never easy.
I also need to mention that your stories make me chuckle,I can relate, especially in refusing to cast this dreadful illness in the main role of our lives. When I can, I pretend I don't have it. Although one has to avoid mirrors these days ,they can easily burst your bubble of denial 🤪
Keep well. Sending big hugs!
@A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member
Hello, so good to hear from you again. I think of you sometimes, always in a beautiful scenery of the wild West on your horse 😊Thank you for the info.
I'm sorry it happened to you,it was scary
and unsettling afterwards,but I'm glad you were able to continue with the treatment. I'll try to advocate for myself, it's never easy,one has to be pretty diplomatic as not to step on anybody's toes🙄
Are you doing okay theses days?
Thank you again, big hugs!
What options were offered after experiencing a hypersensitivity or allergic reaction to Carboplatin during chemo for a recurrence? That's a really unsettling experience, and it makes complete sense to feel worried — especially before getting to speak with your oncologist.
Hypersensitivity reactions to Carboplatin are Show Full Answer