There is a risk of blood infection with a PICC line. I’ve had my mediport 3 years with zero issues knock on wood. My experience is I went and had a little surgery where they briefly knocked me out and then I woke up with a 2 inch incision. You go home right after the surgery. The incision site is sore but heals in a short time. Then when you have your first chemo the nurse puts a tiny needle in the mediport with the dressing covering it. The needle does hurt some but no worse then getting your blood drawn. Then your chemo is started and you get your chemo and when done the nurse takes the needle and bandage out which doesn’t hurt at all and you go home. That’s it. In between infusions you don’t have to do anything with your mediport. No one can see it.Its not noticeable thru your clothes. With a PICC line you have a very large Iv basically on your inside upper arm. You have to cover it when showering, the dressing has to be changed regularly. There is a pretty large risk
For infection especially because you’re going to be getting chemo for at least 6 months. If you get an infection with your PICC line it’s a blood infection which is very serious and can become sepsis. PICC lines also have been known to get blood clots which is also very serious. I’m telling you all this because I’m a nurse and have worked with both mediport and PICC lines. In my experience people had more problems with a PICC line, clots, infection. Then they did with a mediport. I recommend a mediport. I know it seems scarey but it really isn’t and
It really saves you a lot of problems. They offered me a PICC line or a mediport when I first got sick. I went
Right for getting the mediport I’d seen to many people with blood infections and clots from a PICC line.
I use my port for blood work , chemo and ct scans and in past for surgery much easier then veins!
I have had a port from the very beginning and have 0 issues without. Can’t imagine having to use my arm vein for a 4-6 hour infusion. Get on you hopefully won’t have any issues with it. My only complaint would be being a passenger in a car where the seatbelt hits it right across it. Best of luck. 🩵🙏🩵
I love the port easy for infusions and blood instead of finding veins!! This is my second port had one in 2013 for two years no issues then had reoccurrence 2023 and put in second on it’s the best thing !!
Hi, any Registered Nurse in the hospital is qualified to take care of and access a mediport. They do
Often use them in the hospital for Iv fluids and antibiotics when people get sick. Chemo nurses are also qualified
To take care of the mediport. Some oncologists prefer the mediport to only be used for chemotherapy. Depends
On the doctor. None of what I’ve typed is anything to worry about. You just try to figure out what you’ll be comfortable with. The PICC line or the mediport. Good luck.