If you have, how have you done with it so far? Wondering what the next step of treatment would be after a 1st recurrence where the cancer has stopped spreading and shrunk, but not declared NED? Thanks my fighting Warriors. 🩵🙏🩵
@A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member. After my first recurrence I was NED. Avastin kept everything in control for about 18 months when it stopped working. Unfortunately I don't think ovarian cancer is ever cured - just lurking waiting to attack again.
I was on Avastin for about 18 months before it stopped working. My oncologist tried immunotherapy which did not work. Back on carbo now and I think it's working - just won't know how well until the next scan.
I think the parp inhibitors are used to keep the cancer from coming back but also used to keep the cancer from growing and spreading. If you have a recurrence they don’t consider you curable, although it’s possible, they just try to keep it stable.
I am on Avastin and have not reached NED status since I still have some node enlargement. My last ca 125 was 29 and I am praying it continues to come down and my nodes on my February scan were all smaller and back to the size they were over a year ago. I had 11 rounds of carbo and taxol with avastin for the last 6 rounds. Doc plans to keep me on maintenance avastin for at least a year or longer and I pray it keeps working for me.
I had a positive Signaterra test in January and am NED after 3 rounds of chemo. However, I will have 3 more rounds of chemo to bring my CA125 down a bit lower before going on maintenance. My gyn/onc is very aggressive and likes to make sure he has done everything possible to keep me in remission. That being said, if the tumor is very small and your gyn/onc thinks that maintenance drugs will keep it under control without further chemo or surgery then that can be a reasonable path to take. If you have questions about the plan then you should bring them up with the doctor. Hugs