My wife will have her 'debulking' surgery in a few days. She has completed three rounds of chemo so far. Her tumours have reduced in size only a little but the gynae/oncology team believe it's time to go ahead.
They have explained that she will effectively have a hysterectomy plus removal of her appendix, some peritoneum and some of her omentum. They have warned that they might have to remove part of her bowel and, if so, she will have a temporary stoma bag. If the 'bowel resection' is extensive… read more
Stay positive! After three rounds of chemo, I had extensive surgery. and then more chemo. The surgeon told me he got 95 percent of the cancer. No stoma or colostomy bag. I also had a liver resection, but the cancer came back. In any event, after 8-1/2 years and many, many, many rounds of chemo, I am still here with an excellent quality of life. Stay positive!!!
I believe most patients are informed about a possible colostomy. The unknown adds to the fear. Choices are unfortunately limited.
I recovered from surgery well after a large difficult tumor was removed that was adhered to bowel. I didn’t have a bowel resection. I then went onto more chemotherapy that was effective for para aorta lymph nodes they couldn’t remove.
For me, I believe removing as much cancer as possible surgically increased my chemotherapy effectiveness.
Thank you once again ladies. As a very experienced mentor told me as a young man, "Hope for the best, expect the worst and be happy with what you get."
They told me that to. They had to remove my sigmoid intestine and were able to reattach it. No colostomy. If I had had to have a permanent colostomy I would have done it. You can still have a good life with a colostomy. My mother had one and her quality of life was good. It was just something she lived with. She could still eat, sleep, have kids and a husband. Go on vacations, There wasn't much she couldn't do. There were a few food items she had to avoid and she couldn't go swimming.
If having a colostomy meant I would live I'd do it in a heartbeat!
My case was very similar, three chemo sessions which didn't do much, then surgery with all the applicable warnings on bowel resection, possible stoma bags and other organ removals. The surgery went well, I recovered surprisingly quickly, considering how miserable I felt going into it. Then three more chemo sessions, every next one causing more fatigue and gastrointestinal pains. All the inconveniences saved my life though. I'm on maintenance drug now and still alive. Hoping your wife's surgery goes well🙏🤞