Going to my 5th chemo on May 8th & 6th & last chemo on May 29th. What’s next? Do you always have to do maintenance drugs after chemo? More side effects?
I was diagnosed in April,2022, stage 4, operated on May 2 for 8 hours, hysterectomy plus debulking
And had 18 rounds of chemo, my last one on November 16,2022. I go for a scan every three
months and so far in remission. I am not on any maintenance meds. I look at life differently now,
have a wonderful support group and feel very blessed I have my family and friends.
The first 6 chemotherapy treatments with a hysterectomy operation, didn’t have any maintenance treatments afterwards. The ovarian cancer recurred after 2 years. Then the second 6 chemotherapy treatments were had with a year following of Avastin treatments. Now it’s been over a year and a half since the Avastin treatments stopped in remission. My port is just being flushed regularly now with a PET scan in July of 2023. Side effects gradually go away.
I am on Zejula, 100 mg, and went through 9 chemotherapy treatments. If you are stage 1 or 2, you probably will not need a maintenance program. But stage 3 and 4 have a high recurrence, so it is worth trying.
I went on Zejula for 19 months after chemo. My doctor said it wouldn't do a lot for me but it was better than doing nothing. He has treated me very aggressively. Unfortunately the cancer has returned. I will do a clinical trial for maintenance after my current chemo is finished.
Hi Bernadette2 - I was put on Lynparza 4 months after chemo ended. I've just finished my 5th month on it. Sometimes you have to ask for it.