Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have now been asked to stay on Avastin every 2 weeks for the next 2 1/2 years... does anyone have experience with this maintenance protocol? I’m hoping there might be another option more holistic and interested in knowing how much longer people can live on the average on avastin verses not on it. I’ve been researching this question and going crazy trying to figure out what I should do. Any experience regarding this choice would be greatly appreciated my fellow survivors!❤️

May 18, 2021
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared diverse experiences with Avastin maintenance therapy after ovarian cancer recurrence, with many describing schedules ranging... Read more

Members shared diverse experiences with Avastin maintenance therapy after ovarian cancer recurrence, with many describing schedules ranging from every two to four weeks and durations extending from several months to over two years. Several members reported manageable side effects like nosebleeds, elevated blood pressure, fatigue, and sinus issues, though a few experienced serious complications including heart failure and kidney concerns, while others found Avastin effective in keeping their CA-125 levels low and cancer stable for extended periods. A recurring theme was the emotional weight of making treatment decisions in the face of uncertainty, with members expressing gratitude for any therapy that buys more time with loved ones, emphasizing that no one is locked into a protocol forever, and sharing hope that staying in the fight long enough may lead to better options emerging in the future.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

What a great question! I wish I had an answer for you..My mom has 4 stage ovarian cancer. And has tried different combinations of chemotherapy.
It not only affects the cancer cells,but also the normal cells .she has scar tissue in her lungs from chemo and now having heart issues tachycardia and irregular beats is on Dilitazam now increased by her Cardiologist.
Its giving her a headache.
There is a holistic Hospital in Phoenix Arizona called New Hope.
I spoke with a representative who was very nice.your dr would send them all your medical records. And they would let you know if there was a plan of care for Treatment there. It was on information sheet on one of my mom's chemotherapy medication handout. I talked with her about it but her 98 yr husband was a concern. And her Dr said that would be the last resort. If he had no more tricks in his bag.
Not sure if that helps. I would like to connect with those we have gone this holistic route.

May 30, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I'm on Avastin indefinitely or until I get another recurrence. Side effects are minimal this go round. Chills and sweating on and off. Feels like I'm going thru menopause which I did starting in my mid 40s so now at 80 years old it's weird to have those symptoms again. Also slight headache now and then and backache but if it keeps cancer from recurring or puts it off then I'm ok with it. Also lately blurry vision while reading or writing or watching TV. But I'm still alive and that's what counts.

March 5, 2023 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

This is my maintenance plan I started with Avastin every 3 weeks and Taxol every 6 weeks. Now with good results I’m doing Avastin every 4 weeks with taxol every 6 weeks. I do a PET scan in late July to see how it is doing.

June 7, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I was mistaken, Lynparza was the maintenance drug they tried that did nothing, the cancers just worked their way around it. Currently on Avastin three weeks in a row, then off a week with Taxol two of those. I’ve completed 4 cycles so far, with few side effects, hair loss again, oh well, that’s better than the side effects of previous chemos! Two more cycles to complete and then another CT to see how things have progressed and hopefully shrunk. 🙏🏻 May CA 125 is great, only 8! Hopefully CT will also be good news.

June 5, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I presently am on Avastin every three weeks for maintenance with limited side effects the thing that’s kicking my is Lynpraza twice a day. It’s rally messing with my blood counts. But when I was on the heavy duty chemo Avastin was one of the drugs that helped me get into remission.

June 1, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Pittsburgh, PA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In