Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
December 21, 2020
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi, I was diagnosed BRAC1 when I was 53. I had a double mastectomy to reduce my cancer risk because I wanted to do whatever I could to help myself. I did end up with ovarian cancer, but very glad I don't have to worry about the boobs too. I had teh double mastectomy and then a reconsturction using lower belly fat to reconstruct the breasts. Would not do that again. Took several surgeries, and a couple years to feel somewhat normal. I would either do implants or nothing if I had to go back. Hope that helps. Best of luck. I also used the FORCE website as they had a gallery to view different types of results from surgery which helped me decide. It is a hard decision.
❤️

May 8, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had bilateral mastectomy 22 years ago and I only had lobular carcinoma in situ. Best thing I ever agreed to.

June 1, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Check out FORCE -- Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered. They are a groups for BRCA folks.

April 12, 2021
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I did not have a reoccurrence until the 4th year. My CA125 continued to climb so each 3-month visit it continued to double, I had CAT scans to find it, but took a while to identify since it was in my small intestine. Had surgery, Chemo, and then Lynparza which I have been on now continually for almost 4 years. I am very fatigued but doing well with my CA125. It's hard not to think about, but it is being watched closely and that is key. I just think positively always and do a lot of gardening which I find relaxing. I did have a double mastectomy and then a transflap (which I would not recommend due to long procedure, recovery, and final outcome. Overall if I would go back I would do a double mastectomy, wait, and then maybe do implants. There is a "FORCE" website that is extremely helpful with pictures and information to help with the decision. No matter what route you take, the most important is remove the risk the comfort with whatever decision is made takes time to accept physically and mentally, but you will get there. I am fine overall. Stay strong, rest and do what is right for you :-)

May 30, 2025 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I already take Lynparza to prevent an OC recurrence. That would be great if it prevents BC too, since I am BRCA1 positive.

June 5, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Schenectady, NY

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
La Habra, CA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Los Angeles, CA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In