I might start chemo on Tuesday April 7th (doctor is checking availability)
At the visit with her I had told her I did not want a port to be placed in. Since there was so much else to talk about, we did not really address this.
I am now reading about chemo "destroying" the veins.
I also just thought that maybe it is not such a good idea to do an IV, as it is closer to the hand nerves which potentially could lead to nuropathy ?
Has anyone done carboplatin and taxol through an IV ?
Thank you all
De… read more
Hi Deb
I had. Written a lengthy reply but I must not have sent in the meantime I see many covered what I was saying so here is the part that I would add to the above.
1. Port placement, absolutely no regrets. Mine was placed six days before my first chemo so I couldn’t use lidocaine on it but honestly it was a cake walk compared to the blown veins just getting to diagnosis(I have thin valve laiden veins that the best phlebotomists were very challenged)
Regarding prevention of neuropathy, my research in pub med Indicates promising, no downside use of compression and cryo(ice) during Carboplatin and especially taxol. There are also cryo caps to prevent hair loss but they were not available to me and as a pragmatist. Hair will grow back. Neuropathy may not reverse completely so it has been my focus. Finally regarding leg pain several patient/friends recommended Claritin after I struggled first two rounds with zero relief. I think it has definitely helped. Again I think some preliminary studies bear it out. May be worth asking doctors.
Good Luck and prayers as you navigate this. Always willing to help if I can.
Judy N
thank you so much Julie, you seem like a really special person, I look forward to meeting you tomorrow
Hi Deborah,
I want to retract part of what I wrote above. I think I may have given you misinformation for your situation. I don’t want to edit the original post so others can see what I’m referring to.
You are stage 1. There is a reason they didn’t offer you a port. You very well may be cured. My issues didn’t come until my 5th infusion (first round.) The advice I was given by MSK was not bespoke to me and then I made that same mistake with you and I apologize.
You are already being super aggressive with the cancer (amazing) by having chemo. Nothing will happen to your veins in one or two infusions peripherally (in your arm veins) that will be detrimental. That means you have a month to think about this.
Here are some questions to discuss with your Dr;
1) What are the chances of your cancer returning? (If you get an “I don’t know” from your Dr., Ask this—in others with my stage and , how often did the cancer return? Ask if you can read the articles they read so you can understand your diagnosis better.
2) How are your veins. If you have good veins a few rounds of chemo to test them is the way to go. Wait on the port and see how an infusion works with your body. You can get a port at anytime, it’s a routine procedure at MSK.
3) If you go the vein route, ask the infusion nurse to stay away from your “antecubital.” These are the veins on the interior part of your arm adjacent to your elbow. You will need to have this discussion with your infusion nurse. They are the easiest to access and you want to “save” them. You are young.
4) You got this.
Hi DotManning, thank you very much for the message. I think I eill put a port in if it's still possible, but it's great to hear you had minor issues with the veins.
Thank you Julie, very useful information, I have sent a message to Dr Aghajanian at MSK about the port. I think I will try to get one inplanted.