Hello
I was diagnosed with peritoneal and HGSC March 2025. Since then I’ve had Debulking, HIPEC surgery, 8 rounds of chemo, 4 rounds of Avastin until is stopped working. I am about to receive my 2nd round of Elahere tomorrow, Tues., 3/10/26. 3 weeks ago, I had 800 ml of fluid drained from my Rt. Lung. Since then I’m still having mild chest and upper back pain. I have a rapid heart rate moving around the house doing minor chores. Cardiologist has me taking Metoprolol which helps a little but I… read more
♥️Hi Geralyn,
Welcome and thanks for sharing your story because it helps others. You're a real cutie pie!
First I want to say you've had a very good start at beating this OC because right from the start your doctor hit it aggressively especially using HIPEC to rid the residual cancer!!!!!
Keep up the fight just like you are doing, listen to your body about the fluid buildup.
🍎I researched and not all chemos cause ascites however, Elahere does but this chemo has been very successful especilally with metastatic cancer.
You can find out more on FB Elahere Group. I used to bounce back and forth from site to site for my friend Cathy who had OC.
Also Geralyn, please do not let "all this research overwhelm you",
just look at it as a list of information to question your medical team.
And whatever results you receive, guess what, WE WILL BE HERE FOR YOU!
Take a look at the different info the doctors evaluate due to fluid build up:
Ascites (fluid buildup in the abdomen) is listed as a serious adverse reaction in patients treated with Elahere (mirvetuximab soravtansine), though it is often also a symptom of the underlying ovarian cancer itself.
Management primarily involves standard palliative procedures like paracentesis (draining the fluid) and diuretic medications, as there is no specific antidote for Elahere-associated fluid retention.
Management Strategy
Standard of Care
Since ascites in this context is typically driven by the malignancy or liver parameters, clinical management follows standard oncological protocols rather than a drug-specific reversal agent.
Causes and Management ...
Therapeutic Paracentesis
The primary method for immediate relief. A healthcare provider inserts a needle or catheter into the peritoneal cavity to drain excess fluid. This may be performed as needed or on a schedule.
Causes and Management ...
Medical Management (Diuretics)
Doctors may prescribe diuretics (water pills) such as Spironolactone or Furosemide to help the kidneys remove excess fluid, though efficacy varies in malignant ascites.
Symptom Monitoring
Patients are monitored for rapid weight gain, increased abdominal girth, and shortness of breath. In clinical trials, ascites was reported as a serious adverse event in approximately 2-3% of patients
So there you go....there are methods to rid the fluid and make you feel better. Why some get the fluid and some do not, it's a toss up. As soon as any weird feelings happen, call your oncology nurse to document and maybe get you in sooner.
Sending major big hugs!
🥰 Kaye
Are you experiencing chest and back pain after having fluid drained from your lung, and wondering if it's related to Elahere or fluid buildup?
Your symptoms are definitely worth discussing with your care team at tomorrow's infusion appointment, which you're already planning to do—that's exactly the right step.
Fluid buildup Show Full Answer