Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
April 13, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members strongly urged someone experiencing abdominal bloating and swelling to contact their oncology team immediately and request a CT scan,... Read more

Members strongly urged someone experiencing abdominal bloating and swelling to contact their oncology team immediately and request a CT scan, as many shared that similar symptoms turned out to be ascites (fluid buildup) or recurrence of ovarian cancer. Several members described their own experiences where bloating that made them look pregnant was their first sign of diagnosis or recurrence, with practical advice including tracking symptoms, not worrying about seeming anxious, and considering paracentesis (fluid drainage) if ascites is confirmed. A recurring theme was the importance of self-advocacy and trusting your instincts when something feels off, with members offering both urgent encouragement to seek medical attention and hopeful reassurance that early-stage diagnosis often means better outcomes.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Go and get it checked please Willow. Ascites was one of my first signs. I was drained at least once a week. One time it was really high up and made it hard to breathe. Don't worry about anyone thinking you're hysterical, they won't. And even if they did, tell them to piss up a rope. Excuse my language 😊

April 13, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Thanks Mary. My appointment is a week away with the GP.

April 15, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Willow, I just went through this! Very bloated, felt full when eating and had some pain right below breasts. I notified my oncologist and they did a CT Scan. I was sure it was probably ascites and my cancer had returned. The CT scan was NED. My oncologist had me go on a daily probiotic for gut health in case I had ate something had bad bacteria and to check back with her in two weeks. I did this and it gradually subsided and my pants fit once again and the pain went away. I wish you the same results.

April 15, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Willow so sorry your having new issues. Either go o the ER and request a CT Scan, which I did, or wait and call your oncologist first thing Monday morning. Not sure how it works in Great Britain, but definitely see a dr ASAP. Hoping for the best outcome for you my dear! Keep us updated. 🩵🙏🩵

April 14, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had that its called ascites it is part of the cancer. Check with your medical team. It gets quite big. Your drs can have a parcientus where they drain it. I usually got uncomfortable at about 4 liters. They let me call the shots when I was uncomfortable I called the office and they made arrangements to have it drained. Mine went away after several months. But check with them. It feels so good when they drain it off. Prayers and hugs

April 13, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Myrtle Beach, SC

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cedar Falls, IA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In