Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Oceanside, NY

Hi teal sisters
I’m on my second reoccurrence with hgsoc stage 4 no brca gene and just finished cycle six on gem/carbo regimen and suppose to do 8 cycles. I’m happy my ca 125 is at 10 so chemo working . I take shots for low wbc and my rbc is low last week was at 7.6 and needed a blood transfusion which raised it to 9 but still low and I feel a little better but if move around I’m definitely winded and going up down my stairs shortness of breathe so wondering if need another transfusion to get… read more

February 27
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had 3 transfusions while on gemzar. Very hard on bone marrow.

March 14
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Yes I had this same problem during my initial occurrence after treatment 2 of 7 for OC stage 4b
Since my first occurrence was life threatening I couldn’t go to work in person. So even though I worked a little from home, I had to really pace myself/energy level despite having the nickname Energizer Bunny.
So I moved around my house doing very light chores until I started to feel a little tired then I rested double that time or longer:
15 min activity then 30-45 rest. Eventually I could increase my activity level to 20 then 30 minutes but still taking those breaks, double the amount of the activity. Rested by sitting and doing something I enjoy like reading, sewing or watching a movie. Or just laid down during that time.
Setting up a schedule also helped me to pace myself better. I if I overdid it, I found myself in bed the next day frustrated because I was exhausted.
I too, had to take the injection after chemo for my WBC’s during both rounds.

My RBCs were also slightly low leading to anemia. My oncologist allowed me to start a liquid iron, but she said it will take some time to kick in. Between that and natural purple grape juice does help increase your RBCs.

Vegan Liquid Iron Supplement – MaryRuth Organics

Additionally a natural thing you could ask your doctor about that I had research going through this second phase of chemotherapy after my first occurrence:
Nettle tea (timestamp 22:48) great video since your kidneys take a hit from chemo.

10 Morning Drinks 🍵 You Should Know to Support Kidney Health🩺and Flush Out Toxins|Dr Jason Fung 👨‍⚕️ - YouTube

Plus now needing daily vitamin C, (which I didn’t take during my first round) due to my history of always getting nose bleeds) but now needing it to help heal from my surgeries before, my CAM specialist (Complimentary Alternative Medicine) prescribed me Cataplex C) to take in additional to my daily vitamin c and it has done an amazing job! Minimal nose bleeds! Even though my red blood count has been consistently slightly lower than normal, I’ve never needed a blood transfusion through all of this.

February 28 (edited)
MyOvarianCancerTeam

Is shortness of breath with activity common when red blood cell counts are low during chemotherapy?

Yes, what you're experiencing is directly related to your low red blood cell count (anemia). When your RBC is low, your body doesn't have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout your body, which causes Show Full Answer

Is shortness of breath with activity common when red blood cell counts are low during chemotherapy?

Yes, what you're experiencing is directly related to your low red blood cell count (anemia). When your RBC is low, your body doesn't have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout your body, which causes shortness of breath, fatigue, weakness, and chest pain - especially with activity.

Even though your RBC went from 7.6 to 9 after the transfusion, it's still below normal range, which explains why you feel better at rest but get winded with movement like climbing stairs or doing errands. What can help manage this?

It's important to talk with your oncologist about whether another transfusion would help you complete your remaining cycles more comfortably. They can assess your current blood counts and symptoms to determine the best approach.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam member shared similar experiences with low blood counts during treatment, describing episodes of "bottoming out" where even short distances would exhaust them, requiring them to lie down and rest before continuing.

In the meantime, pacing yourself with small tasks and building endurance gradually can help. Listen to your body and rest when needed - this fatigue is a real side effect of anemia caused by chemotherapy.

February 27
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I did have one transfusion if I need I will get it . B12 I asked about that they said couldn’t take I forgot why maybe interferes with chemo or bloodwork. Thx for reaching out :)

March 1
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I did need a transfusion. It helped me but what really made a difference was my PCP ordering O2 for me to use at night, during naps and when extremely SOB. I am also taking B12 shots weekly. Stay strong. Keep your faith foremost. You will get through this. Have been battling this dragon since 2017 and as a 76 year old lady I can attest to stubbornness works and be persistent. Be your own advocate and yell and scream to be heard. Your doctor is your employee- you can fire him at will!🤪

February 28

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Herndon, VA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hot Springs, VA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Myrtle Beach, SC