Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
January 27
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Elisabeth,

I might be missing something, but I thought MSK had a HUGE breakthrough in Low Grade OC.

If you have not done so, call them tomorrow! I’m trying to cut and paste the link, but I can’t. I took a picture of the phone number and tag line.

January 28
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I might consider a second opinion. I am stage 4 high grade ovarian cancer and like many others we still have surgery to remove as much cancer that they can. Surgery or more specific, a total abdominal hysterectomy is standard care.

January 27 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Elizabeth - If your team does not have a treatment plan, do as MaryLoomis suggests and get another opinion.

January 28
MyOvarianCancerTeam

What are the treatment options for inoperable stage 4 low-grade serous ovarian cancer with sacrum metastasis?

When surgery isn't an option for stage 4 low-grade serous ovarian cancer, treatment typically focuses on systemic therapies to manage the disease.

Chemotherapy is usually recommended as a starting treatment, even Show Full Answer

What are the treatment options for inoperable stage 4 low-grade serous ovarian cancer with sacrum metastasis?

When surgery isn't an option for stage 4 low-grade serous ovarian cancer, treatment typically focuses on systemic therapies to manage the disease.

Chemotherapy is usually recommended as a starting treatment, even though low-grade serous carcinoma can be resistant to chemotherapy drugs, particularly platinum-based ones like carboplatin. However, it can still be effective for some people.

Targeted therapy may be another option. Drugs like bevacizumab (Avastin) can attack specific molecules in cancer cells and may be given along with chemotherapy.

Hormone therapy is particularly relevant for low-grade serous cancer because these cells often contain estrogen and progesterone receptors. Hormone therapy drugs can help decrease signals that tell cancer cells to grow. Options include:
- Tamoxifen (Nolvadex)
- Aromatase inhibitors like anastrozole (Arimidex) or letrozole (Femara)

These treatments may be given once chemotherapy is complete or as an alternative approach.

Clinical trials may also provide access to newer medications or treatment combinations that could be beneficial for your specific situation.

It's important to work closely with a gynecologic oncologist who can tailor treatment to your individual needs and monitor how the cancer responds.

January 27

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
BAREILLY