Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Jersey City, NJ
February 3, 2025
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with sore and itchy scalp after Taxol infusion, with many describing pain resembling a bad sunburn that often... Read more

Members shared their experiences with sore and itchy scalp after Taxol infusion, with many describing pain resembling a bad sunburn that often coincided with hair loss beginning around the second treatment. Several members recommended practical remedies including Simple Shampoo and conditioner, Selsun Blue shampoo, Australian emu oil, ice packs or cold caps to reduce inflammation, and cool pillows for nighttime relief. A recurring theme was that scalp sensitivity often returns when hair starts growing back after treatment ends, with many members finding that switching products and using gentle, soothing treatments helped manage the discomfort throughout their chemo journey.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi! I was diagnosed at age 51. I was on carbo/taxol every three weeks from Nov 2018 - Jun 2019. It seems like a long time ago, but I was diagnosed with advanced stage IV peritonial cancer, which is the "sister" cancer to ovarian cancer. I did experience a burning, itchy scalp. I'm not sure how far along you are in your treatment. My scalp issues started directly after the first dose. The scalp issues went on for maybe the next 3 treatments, then went away. I would put an icepack on my head and it helped. I didn't do the cold cap treatment since I really didn't mind being bald. My hair starting shedding after treatment #2. I went to my husband's barber and he didnt put any chemicals on my hair, just water and he gave me a cute pixie cut. That lasted about 4 days and the rest of my hair fell out. I only used Citaphil soap on my head after that, and not much. I also put a hypoallergic light lotion on it. At first it was an adjustment. Then I started finding really cute beanies and scarves to wear and never stopped wearing my big hoop earrings. I would actually get compliments at work on my look. That was nice! Hugs and good vibes to you! I've defied the odds....18 months was my "expiration date" and it's been almost 7 years!

February 17, 2025
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had an itchy scalp and used Simple Shampooand Simple conditioner which helped a lot. Didn’t stop it but made it much better. Chemo stopped over a year ago and I still get an itchy scalp but nothing too bad! I just scratch!

February 15, 2025
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I used Australian emu oil for my sore scalp and it definitely helped. You can get it on Amazon. Also don’t use baby shampoo because it’s used for candle cap in babies so can be quite harsh and cause itchy sore scalp.

April 3, 2025
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I used emu oil on my scalp when I lost my hair and found it very soothing. Definitely recommend.

July 23, 2025
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Spoke with oncologist today and she told me to use Selsun Blue Shampoo. I had been using baby shampoo. The soreness is gone but the itching lingers. She warned me that I would probably have soreness and pain when chemo is over and my hair starts coming in. Be forwarned!!!

February 20, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Long Beach, CA

,

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Chennai