Did anyone retain their lashes and eyebrows while on chemo (carbo/taxol)? Reason I ask is that I have had two of my six infusions and most of the hair in my head is gone but my eyebrows and lashes haves shed at all.
Answer Summary
Members shared widely varied experiences with eyebrow and eyelash loss during carboplatin and taxol chemotherapy, with some losing all body... Read more
I lost some eyebrows and all lashes, but by 2 months post chemo they were back.
Lost all body and facial hair no thing bald as a chicken when taking those meds
UPDATE: I share this because while each of us is different, it may be helpful for you to hear my story. (Your stories have helped me tremendously on my journey!) My oncologist was spot on! Eight and one half weeks after finishing chemo I began growing my hair, eyelashes and eyebrows back! My hair came in baby fine at first and I feared that the male pattern baldness of my family had moved onto my noggin. I was worried as my upper temples were still bald while I was sprouting fine hairs everywhere else on my head. However, it was temporary and my temples began growing two weeks later with Snow White hair. (Hard to see initially) I regained my eyebrows and eyelashes fully by week eleven ; both came back thicker than before. After chemo, I began washing my head daily using a tea tree shampoo and a scalp massager (a small stiff bristle dog grooming brush works great!) to stimulate blood flow to the hair follicles and help with a tickling/itchy feeling as my head hair grew. I found the brush, shampoo and oil to be very helpful. I also used tea tree and Argan oil as a post shampoo treatment. Now 14 weeks out, I have lots of beginning to curl, coarser head hair about a 1/2” long and actually waxed my eyebrows last week! (First time ever!) I should add that I have been taking Biotin tablets (OTC for hair, nails and skin) for years. I only stopped during chemo as I stopped all supplements during that time. I’m kinda liking this look of really short hair (pre chemo it was shoulder length) and the ease of care.
Don’t get fearful/discouraged about your hair returning! It WILL! For me, my hair loss solved the problem of growing out my bottled hair color. I wouldn’t have had the guts to shave my head so chemo took that issue away. I’m looking forward to seeing what nature gave me naturally. At this point, Cruella Deville of 101 Dalmatians comes to mind but I’ll keep you posted.
ORIGINAL POST: I lost my eyebrows (except for those closest to my nose) and eyelashes seemingly overnight after my 4th chemo treatment. (Platin and Taxel) Went to bed one night “perfectly normal” and woke up going “what the hell?” as I looked in the mirror. Thank goodness for eyebrow pencil and eyeliner dots. I have a fear that false lashes will pop off as I bat them at the handsome grocery store clerk …. thus I haven’t tried them yet. My doc says have patience; 8-10 weeks after the last chemo they’ll start back. That will be early late February- early March. Can’t wait! She also suggested keeping my noggin shaved to prevent patchy spots as it grows back. (The argument being that earlier hair is weak as it contains chemo chemicals and the hair follicles are still impacted). Again, 8-10 weeks. This is when I wish I was one of those “Beautiful Chrissy” dolls of my childhood. Crank my bellybutton and instantly have long hair…and eyebrows…and eyelashes…they can keep the rest. Patience is a virtue, right???
Hi Karen, this is what she bought me, correct website too. The adhesive and remover are on there. Best of luck! Hope this helps! 💙💙💙
Harmony,
It is weird for me too as I have had three chemo infusions and my lashes and brows are in there strong but I see some ladies lose them after chemo 5 and 6. I do have the magnetic lashes and eyebrow kits ready to roll when I need them. I think losing them will be worse for me than losing the hair