Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Philadelphia, PA

The pathology report from my surgery came back and it said I have High Grade Serous Primary Peritoneal Adenocarcinoma. My doctor said it was classified as Primary Peritoneal (stage 3) because they really don’t know where it originated from. Also, I’m nervous about the term Adenocarcinoma. I don’t know what that means and what it means for my treatment. Has anyone else been diagnosed with this?

January 30, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

The theory is that women have free floating ovarian cells in their peritoneum. In a non-Braca-1 or 2 woman, chances that one/some cells will turn cancerous is a fraction of a percent. As for a Braca-1 or 2 woman, the chances are just under 2 percent that one/some will turn cancerous. I'm a Braca-1. My peritoneal ovarian cell(s) became cancerous in 2015 after having had my benign ovaries removed in 2001 to prevent getting ovarian cancer in the first place. I've been fighting Primary Peritoneal Cancer (PPC) since 2015 (8 years), with no end in sight I never go into remission. There are other women with PPC that do go into remission. As for "adeno"carcinoma, I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean---It's probably no different.

April 19, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

My recurrence was diagnosed initially as metastatic adenocarcinoma. Since the tumor I found under my arm was considerably north of the ones initially found on my ovaries, there was some question as to if it was or was not ovarian cancer. After additional testing of the biopsy slides, it was determined that it was in fact ovarian cancer. I suspect it just means that your cancer started in Peritoneal location.

January 30, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

My high grade serous peritoneal cancer was staged after having a lot of testing such as biopsies done at Mayo in Rochester MN. Primary being ovarian cancer which is said to be one of the more common occurrences.

January 30, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Wishing you luck!!

April 20, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Just look it up.

April 25, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lisbon, IA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
BAREILLY