Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Glendale, CA

I just started on Doxil and Avastin for 2nd recurrence and am interested in hearing what side effects other women have experienced from these drugs. πŸ’œ

December 6, 2022 (edited)
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had Avastin with my chemo and then an 18 round protocol of Avastin infusions( once every 3 weeks). My blood pressure was a battle and I had a headache at the end. But we were able to control my BP with meds

December 7, 2022
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi! I think those who said everyone reacts differently are right. I had a number of problems from the Doxil and Avastin combo. High blood pressure and proteinuria from the Avastin. That was stopped. The Doxil caused very severe skin reactions, rashes of several kinds and actual lesions on my achilles tendons that opened and and over time I developed a super infection. I think mine was a very severe and not very usual reaction on the skin.

Don't want to scare you. But it's good to know there are a variety of reactions. The sad part really is that it worked to shrink my tumors and lymph nodes so it worked while it hurt.

I will be starting a new chemo in the new year. Fingers crossed.

December 7, 2022
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Glynn, I had Avastin, carbo, and taxol in the beginning and was told I would be on Avastin as a maintenance drug the rest of my life. Avastin did raise my blood pressure and labored my breathing, otherwise I tolerated it well. I was on it for a year an infusion every three weeks. I have a family history of heart disease so it may have been a factor. I have just passed my 9 month checkup with no chemo and my CA125 was 11.8, my red blood cells we barely under normal, otherwise all was good. I have been very blessed to be off chemo and in remission for 9 months. I pray you get there too along with everyone else. πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»

December 7, 2022
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Why did you stop at 18 rounds? I was told it could be indefinitely.

December 7, 2022
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Thanks so much everyone for all the input. πŸ’œMy Dr told me to buy a blood pressure kit so I will be monitoring that regularly. I have never had high BP, so maybe that will help. He told me that if it becomes a problem he would put me on BP meds. I have also read that acupuncture can help control high BP, and I have a terrific acupuncturist, so I will be speaking to her about this too.

December 7, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Boston, MA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
East Peoria, IL