Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Houston, TX

Hi I am asking this question because I am first line of treatment, taxol/carboplatin 5 hours plus all the pre meds. Hopefully I will go into remission and won’t need them but it’s good to be prepared.

May 4, 2022 (edited)
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared a wide range of second-line ovarian cancer treatments in response to someone preparing for potential recurrence after... Read more

Members shared a wide range of second-line ovarian cancer treatments in response to someone preparing for potential recurrence after first-line taxol/carboplatin chemotherapy. Several members described their experiences with maintenance medications including Lynparza, Zejula, and Avastin, explaining that treatment options often depend on BRCA status, HRD testing, whether the cancer is platinum-sensitive or platinum-resistant, and how quickly recurrence happens (with recurrence after six months typically allowing the same chemotherapy regimen again). A recurring theme was the importance of understanding your genetic testing results, advocating for yourself with your medical team, exploring patient assistance programs for expensive medications, and balancing hope with realistic expectations about maintenance drugs, which don't guarantee prevention of recurrence but have helped many members extend their remission.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Diagnosed with stage 4 ov cancer April 2021. Cancer already spread to other organs, I had tumor debunking then HIPEC along with 6 months chemo. Thanks to my wonderful team of Doctors at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore MD I am 2 years in remission. Each woman faces different challenges but we must remain hopeful. I get very worried when I have another C-125 blood test. I will have another CT scan next week. Please do not loose hope, stay close to God and always believe in your own strength and that you will overcome this ugly disease. Love yourselves ladies, everyday!

April 8, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I just had it at Baptist MD Anderson Cancer Center here in Jacksonville FL. FANTASTIC DRS. They say they got all cancer they could find, so praying it continues. Three last rounds of chemotherapy and then I pray I am really NED! You women definitely give me hope!💚🙏

April 24, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hello Billie, I am not on any maintenance drugs at this time. HIPEC has saved my life and I am strong and healthy. Just had a CT scan yesterday. Will know the results shortly. C125 blood level is 3. I pray for joyful outcome for you. I have a great team of Dr's, I know you will overcome this. Chemo is a bit hard, I had 6 rounds.
I am not BRAC positive. Prayers for you as I also walked the path. I feel your struggle and know you will stay strong. Life is tough but so are You!

April 23, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

For my second line treatment I am getting Carboplatin + Gemcitabine + Avastin, 2 weeks on and one week off. Will evaluate how well this is working after cycle 3. So far, I am tolerating this better than I had expected and much better with the Gem than the Paclitaxel I had in first round chemo.The taxol caused debilitating neuropathy so I did not get that for second line tx.

UPDATE: PET Scans after third cycle of my treatment showed the chemo not working so it was stopped. A pleural effusion in my lung increased and I will have a thoracentesis this coming Friday. Test of fluid removed will determine next steps.

February 24, 2023 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Love the socks

February 24, 2023

Related Questions

View All