Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Oceanside, NY

I’m on Elahere now and finally ca 125 is dropping and just finished cycle 4 and lowered dose cause of eye issues and neurapothy in hands to 290 and my ca 125 at 410 now I know this drug helps control the disease and only come off if progresses or toxity occurs just trying to stay hopeful that a breakthrough for resistant ovarian cancer happens quick I want to beat this but looking for anyone in my situation that has some advice it’s such an aggressive disease 🙏🏻

7 days ago
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members offered heartfelt encouragement and personal stories in response to a question about living with platinum-resistant stage 4 ovarian... Read more

Members offered heartfelt encouragement and personal stories in response to a question about living with platinum-resistant stage 4 ovarian cancer without the BRCA gene. Several members shared remarkable journeys, including one who has been going strong for ten years after a stage 3C diagnosis and another who is past year five with stage 4 HGSOC, both crediting treatments like Rubraca and Avastin for helping control their disease. A recurring theme was that outcomes vary based on individual biology and available targeted therapies, with members urging each other to keep hope alive and stay active.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi- I had the carbo & Taxol, and I think sisplatin? Trying to recall-back when I started chemo in 2016 they did it also intraperitoneal so I had a port down low under my right ribs and one up high on my chest.. the lower one was pure torture when they would put chemo in that part of your abdomen and then make you turn over like a turkey baster to distribute it around, and you would be bloated up. It was horrible. I guess they don’t do it this way anymore thank goodness. After I finish treatment, my cancer recurred less than six months later. I was chosen for a clinical trial for Rubraca the PARP inhibitor.. This was unfortunate for me since I had both BRCA mutations in standard chemo would not work for me ever again. I discovered the computer for the randomize trial chose DOXIL for my treatment instead of the PARP. After that, my tumor kept growing and eventually perforated my intestines. I had to be rushed in for emergency surgery again, and hospitalized for two weeks while they let everything settle and reconnected my intestines. After that, I was put on Rubraca. I stayed on that drug for eight years and had no more recurrences with ovarian cancer. Last fall however after being off the Rubraca for eight months breast, cancer was discovered in my left breast. Luckily, they found it so quickly from surveillance scans, that I was able to avoid treatment and have a prophylactic mastectomy which I opted for. I firmly believe that my getting breast cancer was due to my going off the Rubraca. However, to stay on that drug longer than eight years may have rendered me with leukemia because the longer you stay on these drugs, the more your chances increase for AML.

Hopefully, all of this is in my rearview mirror now as I get high surveillance for the other kinds of cancers that are linked to these genetic mutations.

Laura

6 days ago (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Laura, your situation is very encouraging, surviving 10 years. Can you share anything about your treatment?

6 days ago
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I’m platinum resistant and have been going strong for ten years.

Sending positive vibes your way!

Laura

6 days ago
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

It means the writer made a typo. Specifically, this author.

HGOSC

22 hours ago
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

thanks! Absolutely!

5 days ago

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
La Habra, CA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Subscriber asked a question 💭

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Jersey, NJ