I have conflicting reports from my oncologist and my gynecologist. Is it ok to use the patch (low dose 0.0375 twice a week)?
Josie good question.
Here some info I found: Using an estradiol patch after ovarian cancer may carry a risk of cancer recurrence depending on the specific tumor type.
While transdermal patches avoid liver-related clotting risks seen with pills, systemic estrogen is generally discouraged for hormone-sensitive types like low-grade serous or endometrioid ovarian cancers, but it may be considered safe for epithelial or borderline survivors.
General Safety and Cancer Type
Epithelial Ovarian Cancer: Current guidelines from groups like the Society of Gynecologic Oncology often view hormone therapy as acceptable for most epithelial ovarian cancer survivors.
Low-Grade Serous Ovarian Cancer (LGSOC): Systemic estrogen is typically not recommended for LGSOC survivors because these tumors can be hormone-sensitive.
Endometriosis Ovarian Cancer: Estrogen therapy is usually avoided or restricted due to potential hormone receptivity.
General Patch vs. Pill
BenefitsBlood Clots: Patches deliver estrogen through the skin, avoiding the increased risk of blood clots and liver issues tied to oral pills.Symptom Relief:
They manage severe menopausal symptoms caused by surgical menopause.
Read a systematic review on The risk of ovarian cancer in hormone replacement therapy users.
Learn about safety data from Estrogen Replacement Therapy Safe in Epithelial Ovarian Cancer.
Check general prescribing details via the MedlinePlus Drug Information for transdermal patches.
There’s so much data out there but it depends on the type of OC and grade.
Hope this info helps a bit.
Hugs, 🥰 Kaye
I think if I had to choose who to trust I would rely on my oncologist. 🩵🩵
Thank you!