Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sherman, TX

I’m wondering if I’ll feel good enough to work the two weeks in between chemo rounds.

July 5
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Dear Tonya,

Thought you might like some information as to why fatigue becomes cumulative.
Sorry this is long but I always like to research to see if I can find helpful hints. Most come from Our great OC team!🥰
Remember drink lots of Water (flushes out toxins) and have a few bottles of electrolytes on hand. My GF had OC and she always ended up dehydrated and we had to go to ER.

Your oncologist is absolutely right: chemotherapy fatigue has a cumulative effect, meaning healthy cells have less time to fully repair between cycles, causing exhaustion to compound with each consecutive round

It is also highly common to experience a predictable energy pattern where the week right before your next cycle yields the highest energy, as your blood cell counts temporarily recover and toxins clear your system before the next dose.

Why Cumulative Fatigue Happens
Bone Marrow Suppression: Chemotherapy temporarily halts the production of new red blood cells, frequently leading to treatment-induced anemia.

Cellular Repair Tax: Your body expends immense baseline energy trying to constantly repair healthy tissue damaged alongside cancer cells.

Toxic Build-Up: It takes longer for your metabolic organs to process and clear residual cellular waste as treatments progress.
How to Navigate Your Energy Cycles
Track Your Personal Nadir: Log your daily energy levels on an app or calendar.
Most people hit their lowest point ("nadir") 7 to 10 days post-infusion.

Bank Your Good Weeks: Schedule necessary errands, social visits, or light food prep exclusively during that final week before your next session.Implement "Strategic Rest": Keep daytime naps under 30 minutes to preserve nighttime sleep cycles, and prioritize tasks using the "Four Es": Eliminate, Economize, Encapsulate, and Delegate.

Incorporate Light Movement: Counterintuitive as it feels, a 15-minute daily walk or light stretching is proven to reduce cancer-related fatigue better than pure bed rest.Always report shifting fatigue levels directly to your care team. They can run blood panels to check for correcting factors like anemia or electrolyte imbalances.

To help tailor this, which round of chemo are you currently on, and are you experiencing other side effects like nausea or trouble sleeping that might be compounding your tiredness?

I do think electrolytes help because we never know if we are low in magnesium, potassium, sodium unless we have a blood test.

Take good care, lots of hugs, 🥰. Kaye

July 13
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I did carbo/taxol for 6 rounds over 18 weeks. I'd have my infusion on a Friday. Saturday I felt great and would go for a long walk and sleep well. Sunday morning I'd feel good, but by the afternoon I'd start feeling achy, like a flu was coming on. Then all day Monday I felt totally crummy and just stayed on the couch. I was able to eat and move freely, but my body ached and I was more comfortable just relaxing. By Tuesday afternoon the aches would start lifting. For 2-3 days after I'd have some achy knees or other joints but was able to go out and take my daily walks and get around no problem, felt fine just a bit achy. Then the next two weeks I'd feel myself and really aside from losing my hair everyone kept saying they wouldn't know I was going through treatment.

July 8
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Unfortunately, working remotely isn’t an option for me. Glad it was for you and that you were able to retire!!

July 7
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Having been in and out of chemo since 2017 my advice would be to see if your employer would let you work from home until you are released by you oncologist. I worked from home for over 10 years until I retired. My supervisor and the company medical director thought it best since my immune system would be compromised it would be healthier for me. Not to mention the fact that even if you are in between therapy who wants to hear you upchucking or having an accident from incontinence. My employer provided me with all the equipment I needed to work from home including paying for my internet and installing phone lines. When you wake up you can hop out of bed, do your morning routine, and work in your pj’s and no one knows. And you don’t have to fight the traffic, put miles on your car, or worry about vehicle maintenance! I am so glad for the ability to work from home. I suggest you speak to your employer about it. It’s a win win for both of you!

July 5
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

@A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member i noticed that I am becoming ingreasingly tired with each chemo. The oncologist had warned me of a cumulative effect. I find the best time is the week right before my next chemo. I guess each person is different though, so you will really have to see how your body reacts.

July 5

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
San Clemente, CA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bayville, NY