Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Spanish Fort, AL
June 15
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I think it may depend on the type of cancer. My first thought was waiting 6 months seems too long. But, then, my cancer is high grade serous and that is very aggressive. The protocol for that is CT and labs every 3 months for the first 3 years.

June 19
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

That is what I have too

June 19
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I have stage 3c. Just finished up my treatment. Doc said that I will have another scan in 6 months & then after that I will have a gyno exam & bloodwork to check my CA135 every 3 - 4 months. Not regular scans. I was very surprised. I had colon cancer in 2022 & the ovarian cancer was found because of my follow up scan for the colon cancer. Just wondering if my doctor has a different protocol than others.

June 18
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I just got through with my yearly exam for ovarian cancer stage 1 no more doctors visits it has been 5 years no recurrence

June 18
MyOvarianCancerTeam

Yes, regular follow-up visits are a standard part of care after completing treatment for stage 3 serous ovarian cancer. These visits are important for monitoring your health and catching any signs of recurrence early.

Here's what follow-up care typically looks like:

- Frequent visits early on β€” appointments are usually more Show Full Answer

Yes, regular follow-up visits are a standard part of care after completing treatment for stage 3 serous ovarian cancer. These visits are important for monitoring your health and catching any signs of recurrence early.

Here's what follow-up care typically looks like:

- Frequent visits early on β€” appointments are usually more frequent right after treatment ends
- Less frequent over time β€” after a couple of years, visits may reduce to every 3 to 6 months
- Physical and pelvic exams β€” these are standard at each visit
- Imaging scans β€” your oncologist may order these to check for tumors
- Blood tests β€” used to look for tumor markers that could signal a recurrence It's worth knowing that with high-grade serous cancer specifically, recurrence is relatively common β€” often within the first few years after treatment. Staying on top of follow-up appointments gives your care team the best chance of catching anything early.

If you ever feel anxious waiting for scan results (a feeling many call "scanxiety"), know that you're absolutely not alone in that experience β€” it's a very real and common part of life after treatment.

June 15

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Baltimore, MD