Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭

Hello group: Currently being treated for my first recurrence (May 2025) of ovarian cancer (Feb 2022). May question is regarding Osteoarthritis, particularly my hands/fingers/shoulders being the worst and hip/groin joints. So I'm asking what meds, remedies or anything that works best to alleviate the pain. Please & thank you, Luann xo

May 5
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I use Voltaren on all my joints and it works wonders. Also, Tylenol Precise works well too. However the best thing I have found is Lidocaine OTC usually 3 to 4 percent if you ask your doctor you can get a prescription for it. A heating pad also helps.

May 8
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I have been on Paracetamol for years. Also been prescribed Tramadol which I have recently been reducing so that I know where and how bad the pain is! Most people tell me they “go loopy” on Tramadol but I have never had side effects from it. I also use Ibuprofen 10% gel to rub into the painful areas. I cannot take ibuprofen tablets because of a stomach bleed years ago. Unfortunately I haven’t found anything that relieves the pain in my hands and fingers. I was unable to use turmeric due to an allergic reaction!

In the past I didn’t feel the ibuprofen gel helped but it has been this past year! I also have a physio massage when I can, every one to two weeks but sometimes circumstances mean a longer gap. As far as my fingers and hands go I haven’t found anything useful, though you are supposed to be able to use ibuprofen gel but I find my hands are in and out of water so often it is a waste of time!

I would also be interested to hear what others gave found useful.

May 7
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I should have mentioned a heating pad, I do use several different shaped electric ones!

May 9
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Just been taking OTC meds.. tylenol, etc. Please advise more regarding the turmeric/anti-inflammatory suggestions.. Luann

May 7
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

What are they treating you with? One time I got hooked up with rheumatologist, put on meds…. Didn’t really help. My all time best relief of everything has been acupuncture. (Except now with my neuropathy in my fingers and feet… but I’m still doing acupuncture as I’m not going on the meds again). Hot tub or hot showers/baths are good. Have you done the tumeric and those anti inflammatory holistic things?

May 6

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Santa Barbara, CA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭