Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
March 6
 · 
Reactions
Pelvic Congestion Syndrome and Ovarian Cancer: Are They Connected? Read Article...
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Thank you so much, I thought I didn't need to worry since I had the hysterectomy that only left my ovaries in 2016. I had cervical glandular adenocarcinoma that did spread to my uterus caused by hpv 16/18. I never went back after my surgery. I have been suffering with chronic pancreatitis, hep c, scarred liver and severe abdominal pain and bloating for about 3yrs, a lot of other symptoms too. It's not easy to mention my illnesses because of embarrassment, so I thank you very much for giving me the answer I've needed.

March 6
MyOvarianCancerTeam

Yes, it is possible to develop ovarian cancer after a hysterectomy that left your ovaries intact.

Most hysterectomies (partial, total, or radical) remove the uterus and sometimes the cervix, but they don't remove the ovaries. Since your ovaries remain in place, your risk of developing ovarian cancer doesn't change from these Show Full Answer

Yes, it is possible to develop ovarian cancer after a hysterectomy that left your ovaries intact.

Most hysterectomies (partial, total, or radical) remove the uterus and sometimes the cervix, but they don't remove the ovaries. Since your ovaries remain in place, your risk of developing ovarian cancer doesn't change from these procedures.

The only type of hysterectomy that would eliminate ovarian cancer risk is one that includes removal of both ovaries (called a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy). Without this additional step, the ovaries are still present and could potentially develop cancer.

It's worth noting that ovarian cancer can also develop in the fallopian tubes or the peritoneum (the tissue lining your abdominal cavity). Even if ovaries were removed, there's a small chance that cells in the peritoneal lining could become cancerous, since hysterectomies don't remove this tissue.

If you're concerned about your risk, talk with your healthcare team about your individual situation and whether additional screening or preventive measures might be appropriate for you.

March 6

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sandy, UT