I had what I was told was a large 10cm cyst on my ovary. A month later I woke from surgery and my daughter told me they found cancer. That was 10 days ago. I feel sore, tired, emotional and obsessed with trying to figure out what's next. Struggle to sleep because mind is racing. I don't know how to do this.
I am also terrified. I have been almost everyday since 12/17/24. None of is know the outcome and what will transpire till it does. My hope is that each day when i wake up, that today will be better than yesterday. I try not to dwell on yesterday or borrow from tomorrow. I make sure without a doubt that i research multiple sources when i am being given a new treatment. I make sure i know what to expect so i dont have the worries of the unknown. I have been there a few times. I trust my doctor and his staff, but i do my due diligence. After all i consent to my treatment, i want to know inside and out whatthe med is. Look into cold therapy during infusion for peripheral neuropathy. I did not and i wish i had. I was to new at the OC game. I dont know if it would have worked for me, but i may have tried it.
I hope your journey is smooth. Each day is different, feel what you need to feel and be calm.
Jane
🌻💜🌻
Deb,
I’m so sorry you are going through this. It does feel like a nightmare at first.
It’s all going to be ok, just a different.
I’m stage 4, and I was diagnosed in 2021.
First, find out your pathology from your Dr. They’ll stage your cancer and test it for mutations and type. Call your health insurance and ask for an oncology nurse advocate. They should be able to give you more info and help you navigate the insurance part of this illness.
You need to find out if you have any mutations (BRCA or HER2) these will inform your treatment.
If you want traditional cancer care, then you’ll need an oncologist. Im assuming the hospital you had your surgery at referred you to one. If possible, get a second opinion at a cancer hospital. Get an appt as soon as possible because they may not be able to get you in right away.
The drugs used for chemo (if needed) are typically the same no matter where you go for your first round of chemo.
Start writing down your questions.
It really is going to be ok!
Hi Deb - Fellow "Deb" here but everyone calls me "Debs" :) Just take a deep breath. It's not easy, I know. But it is essential to not panic because there are so many different paths leading from Ovarian Cancer and they will all be different - some much different and some just a little. But if you panic it will make it harder to adjust. I was diagnosed just over two years ago now, and I have to admit I still sometimes can't believe I have this, and for me it is never going to be a case where I will be cancer-free and I've had to talk to myself a lot about it. So far I am doing okay - always there are some bad days, always there are better days and often there are still GREAT day when I feel just like my old self. The ladies in this Forum are absolutely amazing and we can give you all kinds of support and the hugs are amazing :))) I think it's really important to try to find out as much as you can from your doctors and resist the temptation to let anyone "pigeon-hole" you where it looks like you fit into a pre-ordained design that will either succeed or fail. I'm glad you have a daughter to help you get through this. Unfortunately for me, I have only my sweet hubby, but he becomes extremely emotional and I just find it easier to attend all my appointments and treatments by myself. Sometimes I feel lonely and sad that I'm on my own, but I get over it. So ask lots of questions of us! Get to know us! And I hope you like videos of Deer and Cats because I'm Dr. Doolittle to a herd of wild deer and I have two Ragdoll Cats who make a regular appearance here to cheer fellow Teal Sisters up!
Here's a video I took about ten minutes ago when a few of my herd visited! The herd of deer are extremely fascinated with my cats when I let them outside in the yard on their leashes and will try to make friends with them in their own strange ways :)
Try to relax and realize you will probably live 5 years or more with or without cancer. Life goes on
I truly understand you have the right to feel that way! It could be very overwhelming such news like cancer I just lost my sister in law just because she took a different route in treatment , that didn’t work for the type of cancer she had . bye the time she got chemo it was stage 4 and far to gone . Do whats best! you have a team would back you up when you have question. Try to stay positive surround yourself with family and Friends for encouragement. If you need spiritual leader that helps too.
Keep you in prayer 🙏🏾