When ovarian cancer becomes resistant to platinum-based chemotherapy like carboplatin, doctors typically need to explore different treatment approaches. This resistance often develops when cancer returns quickly after initial treatment, usually within two years of starting treatment.
Treatment options may include
• Trying Show Full Answer
Thank you for your information. I went to Moffett Cancer Center in FL...interesting that they have opposing views. I did have Avastin as part of my Frontline treatment...but Onc would not recommend for maintenance... I don't know what to do!! I wish you the best, as well!
Hi Debbie,
I was diagnosed with HGSC stage 3C last fall. I went for a second opinion at Sloan Kettering in NJ. I was so glad that I did. He talked me through my options, watch and wait(not for me), Avastin, or PARP. We decided on Avastin since I had ascites .
I started the Avastin with my last two rounds of chemotherapy. I have continued since 3/3/25. It has been a long year, I have struggled with joint and muscle pain daily, fatigue and neuropathy. I’m closing in on my last couple of months of Avastin infusions. My CA125 remains low. I know that the cancer is likely to return, but I have peace of mind knowing that I gave it my best shot. I also found out,from a local metastatic cancer group that going gluten and dairy free can help with the inflammation and therefore can lead to a decrease in pain. This has helped me tremendously! Wishing you all the best❣️
I went to a reknowned cancer center in Florida yesterday for a second opinion. The Oncologist told me she never prescribes Avastin alone as a maintenance drug due to dangerous side affects. Also Parpi inhibitors can cause destruction of bone marrow..so these drugs must only be prescribed if the benefits outweigh the risks...so I am now very comfortable not taking maintenance therapy at this time...I was a wreck when I finished my Frontline Therapy.
Did you experience major side effects?