Hi all, god bless all fighters and survivors. You are all inspiring to me. I just done with my first chemo and symptoms are unexplainable, faced the worst. I need to know how second chemo symptoms will be..will that be better or worst than the first. Kindly help me to prepare myself
Answer Summary
Members responded with empathy and practical guidance to someone struggling after their first chemotherapy infusion and worried about what to... Read more
Priyanka I had the premeds prior to getting the chemo infusion. Those helped me the Days 1 and 2. Days 3- 5 were the worst. Then it gets progressively better, until the next infision.
The norm is you begin to lose your hair after the 2nd infusion (3 weeks after the first). But it might be different for everyone. I got a pixie cut so the fall is easier to manage and picked up a wig and head covers ahead of time - the plan is to shave it off as soon as it begins to fall in clumps. But notvsure how sensitive the scalp will be.
Also it is critical to move - I find walking outdoors does me the most good.
All the best.
You just gotta get it done and accept your good days and get through your bad days.
Belovedsdam gave great advice. I shaved my head after very fist treatment of Carbo, Taxol & Avastin, long days at infusion. Have you gotten a Port? For me it’s a life saver of arm veins and highly recommend it. First line is hard, you’re in an unknown place, but you will get through it. Do drink a lot of fluids before and after treatment is very helpful. Stay on top of anti nausea medication too, walk when you can, very important. Rest when necessary. Ginger helped with nausea too. Take a good probiotic too, that has really helped. Also if constipated stay on top of miralax and stool softeners, that was a major issue for me, wish I had been better with that back then. If diarrhea is what you have someone please help her, that has never been my issue. Kombucha might help you with nausea also and a probiotic. Give yourself some grace and remember this too shall pass. 🩵🙏🩵
Hi Belovedsam, thanks for your words, sure will contact My helath care provider tomorrow. My next infusion is coming Tuesday. And you are right, one side of scalp started to pain and I am in confusion to shave my head or not. But I guess this is the Right time to do to avoid more inconveniences. Bit worried of weight loss which makes me look weaker both inside and outside.
Yes Priyanka, I agree with Kate that it’s a good idea to call over to your hospital and speak with the nurse practitioner about what is going on & they can make some recommendations. Claritin (regular Claritin not Claritin D) is very helpful with some of the symptoms of chemo if you take it a couple of days before & several days after. Make sure they are giving you your steroids for your first 3 days afterward. Get plenty of rest. drink a lot of fluids & eat lots of protein. Your sense of taste will change a little bit, but you will find things that you enjoy eating— make sure to eat and drink! The chemo infusions do get progressively more challenging as you move towards your sixth one, but you will also get used to your routine, which in a way helps you to feel more confident moving through them! I highly recommend to cut/shave your hair now! It will save you a lot of worry and inconvenience!
You WILL get through this🌟and you will feel so much better afterward! and there’s lots and lots of hope! Please let us know how you are doing… When is your next infusion?🩵