Billie....absolutely use the port for all weekly blood draws and PET/CT scans every 3 months, etc. besides weekly chemo infusions. However, even though you go to a different hospital for scans, they could/should simply arrange for an oncology nurse there or even a radiology nurse if so trained in ports to come down to the scan center for a few minutes to access your port for you. That is what happens for me. If you are going to a small community type hospital for the scan however, such trained personnel might not be available so I would switch hospitals in that case. Have had my port for 3 years now and it is a blessing !!
Yes I use my port for infusions and blood draws and ct with contrast so much easier that’s why the port useful .
Ports can stay in as long as working or they switch it out. I had one put in in 2013 and after stopped chemo would get it flushed monthly and after two years they removed mine. I had a reoccurrence this September 2023 and put a new port in and still on maintaince chemo every three weeks for two years not planning on removing it unless issue then will replace it. It’s a big help and easier then using my veins I’m happy I got it !
I have had mine for 6 years now. It is unobtrusive and I don’t even notice it when it is not being used. Some people are good at finding veins and some are not. Like my doctor who found an artery instead of a vein. Nice little blood geyser. That doesn’t happen with a port. I want to save my veins for times when I have to be accessed by someone other an oncology nurse. They are the best.
Hi Billie - Like Diane274, my port is used only for chemo and flushing at an infusion center. I will not have any lab use my port for blood draws. Even with my PET scan I did not use my port.