Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
May 11, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared mixed experiences with shaving their heads during hair loss, with most reporting no issues and some even finding relief from... Read more

Members shared mixed experiences with shaving their heads during hair loss, with most reporting no issues and some even finding relief from the discomfort of shedding, though a few did experience temporary scalp sensitivity or folliculitis. Several members emphasized that shaving with clippers rather than a razor was gentler, and many noted that any sensitivity seemed linked to the chemotherapy drugs themselves rather than the act of shaving. A recurring theme was the emotional and practical relief of taking control of hair loss, with members celebrating unexpected silver linings like new hair textures, the convenience of wigs, and the empowering reminder that being alive matters far more than any cosmetic change.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

The minute my hair started to fall out, I had my head shaved with no problem. Later on my scalp hurt but they prescribed a lotion that took care of it. My hair came in white ( I was already half way there) and wavy. I loved it as I have always had straight hair. Now, however, it has gone straight again and is a mousy brown with some grey. GRRR! Never know what is happening next. Am on an estrogen blocker which is changing my skin fast - thin and lots of wrinkles. BUT I am alive and kicking so everything else is minor!

May 11, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had my head shaved when it started falling out. I had no problem. My hairdresser did it with clippers not a razor. My scalp was sensitive when it started falling out but shaving it made it feel better.

May 11, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I think the chemo drugs make scalp sensitive not hair loss or shaving.

May 11, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I never had mine shaved, my scalp was so tender while I was losing my hair. My hair has started growing back and the sensitivity is gone.

May 11, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had mine shaved, no issues. Has come back white and soft and really pretty. Always get compliments..

May 11, 2024 (edited)

Related Questions

View All