Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lima, OH

My last scan showed a good reduction in my lymph nodes. I’ve had 11 cycles of carbo, taxol, and 4 of those cycles also had avastin. My doc decided yesterday that with the positive change in my lymph nodes, my ca 125 being stable at 46 , and to prevent any additional neuropathy that it was time to
Move to avastin every 3 weeks as maintenance. I am anxious that it may not work and have read that Avastin is often given with a Parpi. Is there anyone here on Avastin only maintenance?

February 8, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with Avastin-only maintenance after initial ovarian cancer treatment, with some staying NED or stable for... Read more

Members shared their experiences with Avastin-only maintenance after initial ovarian cancer treatment, with some staying NED or stable for months to over a year, while others eventually experienced recurrence during or after stopping the medication. Several members described manageable side effects like leg pain, mouth sores, reduced tolerance for spicy foods, and slightly elevated blood pressure, with most feeling these were worth enduring to keep cancer at bay. A recurring theme was gratitude for any period of stability or remission that Avastin provided, along with mutual encouragement, prayers, and solidarity in navigating the uncertainty and anxiety of maintenance therapy.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Thanks @A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member! I am lifting prayers that it will work for both of us. My cancer is in some abdominal lymph nodes only at this time and I hope the avastin will continue to kill it. I pray that God allows us both to live a good long while and with minimal discomfort.

February 9, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Sherri,
Yes, I am on Avastin only for maintenance. I tried Zejula briefly but had MANY side effects and did not feel well on it. I had Avastin with my frontline and now 3 infusions for maintenance. I feel very well and plan to stay on it as long as it is working.

February 10, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi! Yes, I am on Avastin maintenance- every 3 weeks. I was diagnosed with stage 4 OC in 6/21. Had surgery, chemo (carbo/taxol) for 6 treatments. Also had targeted radiation a few months later. Was in remission for 8 months & it it returned (CA125 slowly climbed to 59). Underwent another round of carbo/,taxol & am now on maintenance Avastin with my CA-125 being down to 14. Tolerating infusions well, seem to slowly be getting my energy back! Hope all goes well for you!!

February 10, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I’ve had Avastin alone for 26 infusions. Has kept me stable with treatable and minimal side effects

February 14, 2024
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Sherri,
I am on Avastin every 3 weeks and so far have been tolerating it well. I was diagnosed in 5/21 with stage 3a. 6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol, thought I was in the clear, then 10 months later was back in treatment with 6 rounds of Carbo/Gemzar/Avastin, and Neulasta when needed. After the 6 rounds, I've continued on Avastin every 3 weeks for the past 13 months and have been NED. The side effects are not easily identified to Avastin alone, as the chemo could have residual effects. I had leg pain in both legs (no swelling) after 1 hour of activity. Had to sit down to rest for 10-15 min and then I could get back to whatever I was doing. That lasted about 6 months. Now I'm back to normal. I get sores on my tongue (geographic tongue) that occur randomly, but don't last more than a day every 3-week cycle. I can no longer tolerate spicy foods. My blood pressure rose a bit, but not to the point of extreme hypertension. Seems the Avastin has kept my OC away. If these side effects are all I have to tolerate to stay cancer free, I can deal with it all! Hope all goes well for you!

February 12, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Weymouth, MA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fernandina Beach, FL