Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Glendale, CA

I’m interested in hearing from anyone who is on Keytruda. My oncologist seems to think my insurance wouldn’t pay for it, as it has not received FDA approval for this type of cancer. If you’re getting Keytruda now, have you had any problems with having access to it? Thank you for your input!

August 11, 2023
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with accessing Keytruda for ovarian cancer, with most reporting that their insurance covered the treatment... Read more

Members shared their experiences with accessing Keytruda for ovarian cancer, with most reporting that their insurance covered the treatment despite it not being FDA-approved for OC, often because their oncologists documented genetic mutations like PD-L1, MSI-high, TMB, or LOH that qualified them for coverage. Several members emphasized the importance of having doctors fight insurance denials, calling the insurance company directly to resolve claim issues, and exploring Merck's patient assistance program which can provide the drug free for off-label use. A recurring theme was cautious optimism about Keytruda's effectiveness, with members reporting stable CA-125 levels, NED status lasting up to two years, and manageable side effects mainly consisting of fatigue and cough, though some experienced challenging joint pain from combination treatments with Lenvima.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I have been on KeyTruda since February 2023. I get KeyTruda every three weeks. My CA125 came down shortly after I started it. My oncologist was going to put me on carbo/taxol and I said “heck NO!! I just got my hair back in and I’m not allowing that chemical to kill anymore good cells I have”. The dr then studied my tumor report from pathology (when I had my original surgery for OV 2021) and found that my bio-markers on my tumors were a good match for KeyTruda. So he completely changed his mind on using the carbo/taxol. He insisted 1000% to use KeyTruda! My side effects are a cough (I already had one so now it’s even worse but I’ll put up with it!) and fatigue. Other than that, no hair loss, no pain etc. My dr has ordered at least 24 infusions (35 minutes long). I just had #9 Thursday August 10th. My Medicare covers most of it. Each treatment is extremely expensive so I’m not sure what regular insurance would or would not cover. I hope this helps! I’m on nothing else but KeyTruda (as far as treatment goes) and my CA stays around 13. I am very happy with KeyTruda.

August 12, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Have your oncologist's office check with Merk (the manufacturer)as they have a program to provide it free. I suspect they gather information on how it works with unapproved cancers so they can apply for approval. As far as I am concerned that is a win/win for all of us. Don't know ife Medicare is paying part of the cost and Merck is picking up the difference but I know I don't pay a.pemny.

August 12, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I am on Keytruda nfusions every 3 weeks. My gyn-onc said he has had to fight with the insurance companies for approval and he did not win all of those battles. My oncologist said that due to the fact that I had the anaphylaxis shock reaction to the Taxol that helped my case.

I just had my PET Scan and all the areas that were clear of cancer from chemo are still clear. However, the areas that were still active (liver and a few lymph nodes) on my last scan but had shrunk, showed a slight increase. In another group some people said that they had increase before shrinkage. Another person said she did not see shrinkage until after 3 months of Keytruda. I have just started the 3rd month so I hope my next scan will show shrinkage.

August 11, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Thanks for that info Jansiking! As for the mutations, I have no idea yet whether I am even eligible for Keytruda, but we shall see. That’s amazing that you have been NED for so long!

August 13, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I am on Ketruda along with Avastin every 3 weeks and an oral chemo daily.. Citoxin. So far 😊 good

August 11, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Glendale, CA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Chelmsford, MA

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ben Lomond, CA