Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
MyOvarianCancerTeam asked a question 💭
San Francisco, CA
June 21, 2023
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared deeply personal glimpses into daily life with ovarian cancer, reflecting on how no two days ever look the same, with routines... Read more

Members shared deeply personal glimpses into daily life with ovarian cancer, reflecting on how no two days ever look the same, with routines shaped by pain, fatigue, treatment schedules, and emotional highs and lows. Several members found comfort and purpose in pets, grandchildren, gardening, and staying as active as possible, while others described adjusting to limitations like neuropathy, colostomy recovery, and chemo side effects that made even small tasks feel like big victories. A recurring theme was the power of gratitude and community, with many saying that reading others' experiences helped them feel less alone on this journey.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I have fought this disease off and on for eight long years. I worked full-time for 7 years as an Accountant and finally had to file for disability. With Anemia, Hypertension, CKD, Chemo brain, Osteoporosis, and Neuropathy all caused by the cancer treatments I've had, I am fatigued most of the time. I follow new treatments and clinical trials for OC. I am an
Advocate for the Ovarian Cancer Research Alliance (OCRA) and speak to our Senators and Representative to encourage them to fund Research for us.
Even though it is difficult I still try to stay physically active but I also listen to my body when it says I need rest. I love hearing about those who are successful in this war against cancer. I like to encourage others to keep going even though I know just how hard it is. I try to live by the motto: When you're going through HELL, don't stop, just keep going! So far I'm still going, just a good deal slower now.

June 29, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Nothing is ever normal anymore Yvette2. your oncologist should know better. Its a shock to your system and everyone is different depending on treatment, age etc.
You will have days that are good and others that are draining. Focus on the positive
your never alone.

June 29, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

There is no typical day. Are you having treatments? Seeing you're gynecologic oncologist? Seeing the nurse or PA? Getting ready for surgery? Having a ct scan? Recovering from surgery? Feeling good because you're in remission? Feeling scared because you're having a recurrence? Everyday is different. Some days you feel a little positive. Some days you wait for that black cloud over your head to give you the worst news.

June 21, 2023 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

A typical day for me is getting up and going to work. I am a nurse/phlebotomist for the VA health care system. I take care of my veterans. I do have foot pain and some balance issues but I still keep going. I exercise when I feel I can tolerate it.
I walk when I can. Nap when i need to and go out and enjoy what i can. I stay away from anything toxic and enjoy the positive. I don't tolerate BS any more at all and i say what i feel and keep it honest. I am only 52 still young I feel and will continue to do what ever I can for as long as i can.

June 26, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

When I am having treatment I am tired quite often so I try to do the things I usually do with more breaks in between. Now I am only having Avastin infusions and I feel better than I have in a long time. I take care of my house and yard and go to the Y. I do have hernias so I have to be careful working out. I find if I force myself to stay busy I feel better both physically and emotionally.

June 22, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Kansas City, MO

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Syracuse, IN

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sandy, UT

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In