Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Port St Lucie, FL 34986

My sister in law who is a retired RN suggested that I consider lidocaine for my foot pain from my chemo treatments (we think it's neuropathy). Wondering if anyone else has tried this and if it works. I think you can get it over the counter, but wonder if that would be strong enough to help. I've been so limited by this feeling of walking on stones and shards of glass that I'm ready to try anything.

April 25, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I used glutamine powder 3 times a day for 3 or 4 days after each chemo treatment (taxol). I barely had any neuropathy in my hands and feet but did have pain in the hips and knees. Acupuncture was the answer for those myalgias, neuralgias, and arthralgias….on doxil/carbo, no issues.

April 26, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I have the chemo neuropathy. I totally understand the shards of glass feeling. I describe it like having a foot go numb then walking on sharp gravel at the same time. In the beginning I used Gold Bond Lidocaine cream on my feet so that I could at least sleep. I also take Tylenol and a THC gummy before bed. My chemotherapy ended at the end of December. Now we're close to the end of April and I do feel some improvement in my feet. (I have the neuropathy in my fingers too.) I don't use the Lidocaine anymore. If my hands and feet get cold the pain gets worse. I have an electric blanket on my bed to help with that.
I've heard and read that it could take a full year for the very last of this feeling to go away.
I had chemo mouth for 3 months and could barely eat. Had that continued, I would have starved to death. Luckily I could tolerate Ensure. But I still lost a lot of weight. I can almost eat spicy food again. Some foods still don't quite agree with me yet, flavor and texture are off.
I hope my information helps.

April 26, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Get your doctor to give you a prescription for the lidocaine. It really helped me. The patches never worked for me as I couldn't get them to stay on - talking OTC patches for pain.

May 7, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I took L-glutamine during chemo stopped day before chemo resumed two days after an no neuropathy!

April 26, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I take 600 mg alpha lipoic acid daily. It is OTC. I do use lidocaine/prilocaine from a tube that my ONC prescribed. He gave it to me to put on port before chemo access to help with the discomfort. It worked wonders for my neuropathy as well. I was also told to take Claritin daily for neuropathy and it really made a difference. I also was given an RX for diclofenac by my PCP. I use all of the above for relief as I have the same feelings as you do. This works for me. God bless!

April 25, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hot Springs, VA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In