My oncologist said that Keytruda did not have FDA approval for OC, but I see that many of the women on this site have used it. If you have, can you tell me what type of OC you have (mine is epithelial) and whether you had to meet any specific criteria to be eligible for Keytruda? And did it work well for you? Thanks for your help! 🙏
Answer Summary
Members shared their experiences with Keytruda for ovarian cancer, with several reporting excellent results after molecular testing revealed... Read more
Glynn, I’m not sure who your Oncologist is but Keytruda has been approved for the treatment of patients who are platinum-resistant regarding ovarian cancer. Here is a excerpt from a website I just visited that talks about Immunotherapy. Patients with stage 1 tumors (for whom survival is greater than 95% after comprehensive surgery), do not generally need to consider clinical trials. Patients with platinum-resistant, recurrent ovarian cancer, or all stages of ovarian cancer above stage 1/grade 1, should consider entering into immunotherapy clinical trials. Pembrolizumab (Keytruda®): a checkpoint inhibitor that targets the PD-1/PD-L1 pathway; approved for subsets of patients with advanced ovarian cancer that has high microsatellite instability (MSI-H), DNA mismatch repair deficiency (dMMR), or high tumor mutational burden (TMB-H). I gathered this information at: cancerresearch.org.
I hope this helps. 🙏❤️🙏
Glynn, I have Stage lllC Ovarian Cancer. Mine is High Grade Serous Carcinoma. I had Gene Sequencing done in December 22 and my Doctor said I qualified for Immunotherapy because the Gene test showed that I have the Gene PD-1. So my doctor put me on Keytruda in December and I have treatment every 21 via IV and it only takes 30 minutes. My tumor marker went from 590 and today it is at 16. I also had a CT Scan and I had some cancerous lymph nodes but today the doctor told my husband and I that there is no inflammation and the lymph nodes have nearly dissipated! My outlook in life since going on Keytruda has improved significantly! ❤️🙏❤️
My daughter has Clear Cell Ovarian Cancer Stage 3A.
She did Chemo and 1 year later cancer showed up on her liver, and lymph nodes.
She has been on Keytruda
An infusion every 3 weeks and pet scan shows no cancer.
She is now having an infusion of Keytruda every 6 weeks for maintaining a clean scan.
No side effects, just tired for 48 hours! Wonderful drug!
Was idly reading the info post on this site about immunotherapy for OC (as of mid 2022 there were only clinical trials, no approved. But (quote)
.... . .
Researchers have developed a drug called Keytruda (pembrolizumab) that prevents cancer cells from triggering the PD-1 off switch. This medication allows the T cells to continue doing their job fighting cancer.
Pembrolizumab has not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) specifically as an ovarian cancer therapy. However, the FDA has approved the drug as a treatment for any type of solid tumor that contains certain gene changes that make it harder for cancer cells to heal from damage. Some people with advanced cancer of the ovary, fallopian tube, or peritoneum may be able to use pembrolizumab if their cancer has a gene change called microsatellite instability (MSI) or has mutations in mismatch repair (MMR) genes.
. . . . .
So it may be that people getting it have the genes, or their drs are ok with giving it off-label.
Will be interesting to hear from people who have it.
FayR5656,
I am not sure I can give you a correct and complete answer to your question about my 4 mutations. My understanding is that each mutation is targeted by a percentage amount by Keytruda, eg, 80%, 60%, etc. My memory of what I was told by Dr. Patel of UCSD Scrips was that the PD-L1 component had a likelihood of 80% being targeted by Keytruda, MSI high a 60% likelihood, etc, adding up to a very good likelihood that Keytruda would keep my cells from increasing in numbers. I don’t have a great memory anymore (since chemo and age), so I am not positive of the specifics, but my feeling was that each of those mutations being present would help Keytruda target my cancer cells. It seems to be working after 41 infusions, because I remain NED for more than a year. I imagine that each case is different in specifics, but each of those 4 mutations (and perhaps others) are targeted by Keytruda. I hope that helps. It would be best to speak with a gyn onc who is knowledgeable about Keytruda. I am not part of a trial, but the consultation with Dr. Patel was enough to qualify me to receive it. He consults with my gyn onc Dr. Mark Genesen. Good luck to you!!!