Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Goshen, NY
February 17, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

You will probably see the beginning of hair growth about a month after your last chemo treatment.
The average rate is around 1/2 inch of growth per month. . .
I gave up wearing my wig 5 months post chemo. My hair was nice and thick, but still very short.

It came back in much curlier and stayed that way for the first 18 months or so. Two years out and my hair is back to its original wavy texture and shoulder length.

February 18, 2023 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had my last chemo the end of January and now it is about an inch or so long. Used to be blonde, now it’s salt and pepper. Oh well. My grandsons were asking me what color it was going to be and I said “I don’t know, maybe it will come in purple!” Their eyes got huge. So guess what? Maybe in a month or so I’m getting temporary purple streaks in my hair. They will flip! You gotta have fun with some of this stuff.

April 24, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

6 Months later after the chemo was over --- I am wearing a pixie cut! I have facilitated already 3 Body Groove dance fitness classes. Enjoying it a lot!

November 14, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had permanent makeup for my eyebrows . It's a tattoo done by a woman who specializes in permanent makeup. I actually had it done years before my cancer because I gave up makeup but everyone needs eyebrows and mine were sparse. As far as my hair I had my first chemo for my recurrence in September 2022 and 2 days later I had my last haircut. Then my hair started to fall out so my husband shaved my head. It finally grew back enough in April 2023 for me to go out without a hat. Probably will be ready for a haircut in a few months. I wear my hair short since I'm 80 years old and easy trumps fancy.

April 17, 2023 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I lost all of my scalp hair except for a fringe around the back of my neck, which I cut off. My eyebrows never thinned out but my eyelashes got very sparse about a month post chemo. Body hair all disappeared - leg and underarm hair was a pleasant surprise, no pubic hair took a bit of getting use to though.

February 18, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
West Branch, MI

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Las Vegas, NV