My oncologist has left it up to me(a good thing) but my thoughts are all over the map . I’m not planning on needing more chemo (none of us really are, right?) and my bra strap occasionally gets caught on the port (ouch). However, I’m curious as to what my teal sisters have found in your experience over time. Did you keep it? Need a new one; if so, was that an issue? Thanks in advance for sharing!
Answer Summary
Members shared deeply divided experiences about keeping or removing chemo ports after first-line treatment, with the majority strongly... Read more
KEEP IT!!!! I've already had one recurrence. Thank God for my port!!!
Best of luck to you Kathy. I can understand removing the port if it's causing you pain. I hope you won't have any need for it again. Mine will be with me until the end. Thank Dog that the surgeon who installed mine knew what he was doing..
Dog Bliss you.
I finished front line chemo on New Year’s Eve 2019 and had my port removed about 6 months later. I didn’t want the constant reminder that I may need chemo again, even though I know it’s possible/likely. I have been NED for over 3 years now and am glad it’s out for now. I took Lynparza orally for 2 years and have not needed the port.
I've had my port for around 2 years and will never remove it. I'm in my first recurrence and who knows if it will be my last.
Glad I kept mine because I had a recurrence. Looks like it's just going to be with me forever.