Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Louisville, KY

Started treatment of Stage 4-A disease in August (2022): 4 rounds of Taxol + Carboplatin. Debulking completed on 1/10 and healing well. Ascites found again during surgery so my oncologist wants to add Avastin to my chemo plans starting 2/9 and go 3 more cycles. Just wanting to hear others’ experience.

January 27, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Nicolette. I also have clear cell carcinoma with no direct link to my ovaries nor my uterus. I could not have surgery but did 12 rounds of chemo with Taxsol, Carboplatin, Cisplatin, and Avastin. I also had 33 days of MRL radiations and CT radiations. (Twice per day!!) My large tumor is not completely gone but it is in necrosis. Small tumor has been demolished !!

Followed the 66 radiation, I was topped up with 15 Avastin maintenance infusion every 3 weeks.

Getting my big scans next month - very excited !!!

January 28, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I used it straight on. Now after my 6 chemo’s going on with avastin. So not as a second line but during my first line treatment. I’ve asked for it because I found some studies where it might do more than the standard chemo. I have a rare cancer (clear cell carcinoma with no direct base from uterus or ovarium) Waiting for result of CT scan … stressy

January 28, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Nicolette,

My large tumor was very solid and huge, firmly attached to my colon and rectum. An operation would have meant I would have to wear 2 colostomy bags for the rest of life.

I flew to MD Anderson (Houston) for a second opinion 5 days before my scheduled surgery. MDA has a great body of cancer experts. After my chemotherapy, we opted for CT radiation and MRL radiation. The CT radiation melted my smaller tumor on my lymph node. The MRL radiation is a real-time scan using the MRI technique and it is very precise so my nearby major organs are not affected. I was told there are only 6 of these MRL machines in the world. The first machine was in London UK and the second one was in MDA Houston. The machine is manufactured by a German and Dutch company - Phillip and Siemens.

I am very lucky to benefit from this MRL machine which has shrunk my large tumor to a thin slice of dead skin. My large tumor is now in necrosis. I believe surgery is avoidable now.

I am hopeful that MDA has cured me and we shall see with my big scans next month!!

If you want more information on the MRL radiation, I am more than happy to send you a link about it.

Let me know but your medical team should have heard of the MRL radiation which is different from RFA (radiation frequency ablation) used for smaller tumors.

January 29, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Lisa, I’ve been getting Avastin for a little over a month. So far my only side effect has been that it made my blood pressure go WAY up. Dr is still adjusting BP meds to try to get it under control. As for whether it’s helping to make the cancer go away, I won’t know until I get a scan next month.

January 27, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Please can you send me the link ??

March 24, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Las Vegas, NV