Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Myrtle Beach, SC
January 9, 2021
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their varied experiences with ascites in ovarian cancer, with many describing significant relief after paracentesis procedures... Read more

Members shared their varied experiences with ascites in ovarian cancer, with many describing significant relief after paracentesis procedures that drained anywhere from a few liters to as much as 13 liters of fluid from the abdomen or lungs. Several members noted that their ascites disappeared or greatly improved once chemotherapy began, though some experienced it as an ongoing issue that only resolved during active treatment. A recurring theme was the profound physical relief after drainage and the anxiety many feel about ascites returning, balanced by hope and gratitude when it stays away.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Yes I had 13 L liters drained from my stomach and one Liter drained from my lung. It is very uncomfortable. Anytime I get a little bloated now I’m concerned that the Ascites come back. It has been 3 1/2 years and nothing yet thank goodness.

February 25, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Kay, when I had ascites I was absolutely miserable and could barely eat, so I was grateful for the paracentesis!

May 25, 2022
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Yes ! I didn't know what the heck was going on ! I was making jokes about being pregnant by immaculate conception ! Only to find out it was Rosemary's baby 😱👹

April 21, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I was like Glynn, I had one paracentesis. nurse said by draining I probably lost 5 pounds. The next week While I was having another procedure I asked if I could have another paracentesis. They got quite a bit out then also and the day they were putting in the port I had another paracentesis . Felt so good and not much involved. After 6 rounds of taxol and carbo no more ascites. I have stage 3 cancer. !

January 4, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Yes, but then it came back - I think I had paracentesis 3x before I started chemo. After I started chemo the ascites never returned.

May 31, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lebanon, OR