Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

It's too late for me, but not for my daughter or other family members. Just 🤔

August 11
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members discussed a report suggesting that removing the fallopian tubes after childbearing could reduce ovarian cancer risk by up to 80-90%,... Read more

Members discussed a report suggesting that removing the fallopian tubes after childbearing could reduce ovarian cancer risk by up to 80-90%, with many sharing personal experiences and family decisions around preventive surgery. Several members offered detailed information about BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations, newer multi-gene panel testing, and how genetic history can influence cancer risk across family members. A recurring theme was the importance of proactive conversations with doctors, updating older genetic tests, and encouraging younger family members to explore preventive options while supporting one another through ongoing treatment.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I also read fallopian tube cancer starts approx 6 years before OC.
However, I think OC Cancer at the microscopic level could easily venture into the peritoneum and ovaries through the fallopian tubes before removal. A blood test is the only way to find if you have circulating microscopic cancer cells in your blood stream using the Natera Test.
Just my observation. You would think by now scientists would have a diagnostic OC test.
🥰 Kaye

August 12
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Lisa, found this out:
🥰Yes, removing the ovaries and fallopian tubes significantly reduces the risk of ovarian cancer for individuals with a BRCA1 gene mutation.This preventative surgical procedure, known as a risk-reducing bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (RRSO), decreases the risk of developing ovarian, fallopian tube, and related peritoneal cancers by approximately 80% to 90%. Additionally, recent studies highlight that this surgery reduces the risk of death from any cause by age 75 in people carrying these genetic mutations.

If I had it to do all over again I would remove every reproductive organ at a certain age. XXOO. Kaye

August 15
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

My tubes were removed in 1990, OC 3C DX’d on 2017. Pardon me for being skeptic of this latest report. By all means if you are past wanting to expand your family an ounce of prevention is worth far more than the enormous cost of chemo! Go for it with my blessing and I sincerely hope it works for any of you or a family member as OC is a bitch! 🩵‼️‼️

August 11
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Ginny,
I did not know that you were BRCA2….I probably had a brain fog moment. So sorry about that. Your BRCA2 made me very curious. I often wondered what was the difference between BRCA 1 AND BRCA 2. Here is what I found to be interesting:
Feature. BRCA1 Mutation. BRCA2 Mutation
Both a Male and a Female can pass on the BRCA genes and it doesn’t skip generations.
BRCA1 Female Breast Cancer Risk 60% to 80% lifetime risk
BRCA2 Risk 45% to 60% lifetime risk
BRCA1 Ovarian Cancer Risk40% to 45% lifetime
BRCA2 Ovarian Cancer Risk 10% to 20% lifetime
BRCA1 Typical Breast Cancer Type Often Triple-Negative (harder to treat)
BRCA2 Often Hormone Receptor-Positive
BRCA1 Male Breast Cancer RiskLow (around 1%)Higher
BRCA2 (around 6% to 7%) Other Associated Cancers,Pancreatic cancer, Pancreatic, prostate, and melanoma
BRCA1 Age of Cancer Onset Tends to develop at a younger age
BRCA2 Tends to develop slightly later than BRCA1

I went to a geneticist at MD Anderson for breast cancer. I tested negative for BRCA1/2 genes. However, both Uncles on my mother’s side had prostate cancer which according to genetics: The primary link between prostate and breast cancer is inherited genetic mutations—most notably in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes—as well as shared familial risk and hormone-driven traits. Families carrying these specific DNA changes see an increased overlap of both cancer types across gender.

Now they just do not do BRCA1/2 test, they do the following:
How Testing Works Now Instead of checking only BRCA1 and BRCA2, laboratories now utilize multi-gene panels. This single blood or saliva test simultaneously scans 15 to 30+ cancer-linked genes. If you had a negative genetic test more than five years ago, your doctor may suggest updated panel testing.

I did not know about how the testing works now. Very interesting.

Sure hope you are having a good day…..I’m always thinking of you!
🥰 Hugs, Kaye

August 18
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Kaye it’s so good to see you on the site. I have been lacking in my attention to my Teal Sisters. Three weeks ago James was hospitalized for really bad Afib for 6 days. If there was a test that could be run on his heart it was done. Surprisingly his heart is good for a 73 year old stubborn man His biggest problem is that he is a Type 2 diabetic now insulin dependent. What a learning curve! Then a weekish later I was in for two days for cellulitis. We are all fine now and getting on each others nerves as usual!! I go back for chemo tomorrow- I am so excited I just can’t wait - NOT! 😆
I hope all of you are doing great and send XOXO to everyone! Blessings! 🩵🩵🩵🩵

August 23

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sydney, AU