Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Schenectady, NY

I had a radical hysterectomy on June 29, 2023 and breast cancer 8 years ago. Leydig tumor on left ovary. Does anyone know if the Braca results will dictate whether or not I will need chemo?

July 23, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Sheila my BRCA testing results were done early after diagnosis and my results were back in just over two weeks. My BRCA results were used more in determining my maintenance medication or PARP inhibitor. I responded very well to frontline chemotherapy that’s seen with BRCA positive patients. I’m a much later advanced stage (4) ovarian cancer than you so I’m probably not a good comparison when it comes to treatment plans.
BRCA and generic testing has become standard practice with cancers like ovarian. I feel most, if not all, participants here on this ovarian cancer board have had BRCA and genetic testing.

July 24, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Sheila, It is my understanding that they use the results of BRCA testing to determine what type of “maintenance” treatment you are eligible for after you have completed chemotherapy. I received the results of my testing approximately three weeks after they ordered it (negative for everything). There are lots of women here who here who have stated that they did not have any chemo. That was not the case for myself. I think a lot of it will depend on the stage of your tumor among a lot of other factors. Have you received any information with regard to your pathology yet? When is your next appointment with your oncologist? 💙

July 23, 2023 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

If you have the BRCA gene, then you are eligible for the parp inhibitor Lynparza after you finish your chemo.

That is good news, because the median length of time before the cancer returns for patients on a maintenance regimen of Avastin and Lynparza is 3 years.

If it works, it’s the best treatment on the market

I don’t have the BRCA gene but have the HRD gene which qualified me to take the Avastin and Lynparza route. But it was always a concern that it wouldn’t work, because the drug was developed for people with the BRCA gene. And it didn’t work for me unfortunately

Good luck!

July 28, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I was told 25% of women with ovarian cancer have the BRCA gene. In women with breast cancer and the BRCA gene they are suggesting removal of ovaries to prevent ovarian cancer. I was tested because I have a daughter and wanted to know if she was at risk. When I did Parp inhibitor for maintenance my doctor said the drug worked best for women who had the BRCA gene.

July 25, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I was diagnosed in December 2021 with Stage 4 Ovarian cancer that had spread to lymph nodes. I started 6 rounds of chemotherapy (taxol & carboplatin). Had genetic testing July 2022 had results back August, I was positive for the Braca 1 gene. I was put on Lynparza in July 2022, went into remission August 2022. Still in remission and on a lower dosage of Lynparza.

September 27, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Harwinton, CT

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Weymouth, MA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In