Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Springfield, MA

I am now on every 4 weeks and hope that I can still get in I have showing a favorable response

May 29, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Billie - My debulking surgery is scheduled for June 22 and for now he is planning to do robotic surgery based on my scans. He said to plan for a one night stay. I am praying that there won’t be a need for any bowel resection which would prolong things. My sister has already made plans to come stay with us for a while to help out, so I will have plenty of support. Additionally, because the weather is nice, I will be able to go outside to walk this time while recovering (no more circles inside my house 😉). Please let me know how your next treatment goes and what is finally decided with regard to your maintenance treatments.

June 2, 2023 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Thank you Kathy! Good to hear you are not having anymore issues and hopefully it will get better with the next infusion. Have you scheduled your surgery yet and what are they planning?
Chemoqueen17 how are you doing with Cisplatin? Hope your doing well.

June 1, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I am so happy to hear of your results Billie! A CA 125 of 8 is amazing and I love seeing you write the words NED. I pray that they do have enough of a supply for your final treatment. As I said previously, it was pretty rough this past weekend, definitely the worst yet. Evidently, my doctors office ran out the day prior to my appointment. Of course, if I had not had my appointment with my surgeon that day I would have been able to keep my regular scheduled appointment and may have received the Carboplatin. In reality, I think I was chosen to receive the Cisplatin, because at this point, I do not have any issues with my kidneys compared to someone who is already struggling with their kidney function. With that being said, I would rather it be me, than them if it means a better quality of life for them. I can handle the pain and discomfort for now. Please keep us updated on your status. Hugs and prayers for you.

May 31, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had my 6th infusion last week and had asked the PA about the shortage. She said she had not heard about it until that morning when another clinic had called her to see if they could send a patient to them if they had it. She also said they have enough supply to get through the month. I have my last infusion in two weeks and praying they have enough for me. I would hate to try a new drug on my last infusion. Which at this point I probably would suggest not to have the infusion. I have already had 4 prior to dubulking/+HiPEC, and two after. Supposedly I am NED after my surgery. But will know for sure once I am done with chemo and have my testing done. My CA-125 was 8 after surgery. Wish everyone good luck with this shortage!

May 31, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I was switched to Cisplatin for my fourth treatment this last week. My doctor did tell me it was harder on the body than the Carboplatin and that I would need to watch for issues with my kidneys. Personally speaking, I felt the side effects were more intense. Of course, it could have also just been the cumulative effect with this being my fourth treatment as well. I will have a total seven week break (four weeks off - debulking surgery -three weeks recovery). I am hoping that they can switch me back to the Carboplatin once I resume my treatments as well. I was responding really well to the Carboplatin/Paclitaxel combination. My CA 125 went from 4242 to 138 after two treatments and my surgeon liked what he saw on my CT scan after the third treatment. Honestly, it makes me mad that this is happening. First we are dealt a crappy hand with the ovarian cancer diagnosis and next there is a national shortage of the drug that has been proven to save lives. It is frustrating to say the least. Prayers that they will have enough of a supply when it is time for your treatment.

May 29, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭