My gyne-oncologist just informed me that I will not be able to get Carboplatin next week due to a nationwide shortage of Carboplatin. I'll only receive the Doxil and Avastin. Well this is scary! I'm on my 2nd recurrence and stage 4 OC. Now I can't get one of the major drugs used to fight this damn disease? I realize our focus has shifted to Palliative care instead of Curative care, but c'mon! I want the best chance to live the best life I can! I'm not ready to give up yet!
I have been very busy writing congressman, newspapers, cancer organizations, the FDA….. anyone I can think of. I think we should all express outrage to as many people and organizations as possible. Include too pharmaceutical companies
I had read an article that said it was manufactured in India and didn’t pass FDA protocol, but not sure of anything. Why is it the USA can not manufacture it anymore? It’s a 30 year+ drug that works for Ovarian cancer, that should either be produced here still or come up with a new replacement that is even better. Pharmaceutical companies don’t make a profit from it I bet!
It is not the chemo drug of choice. This should not be happening in the United States.I have already
discussed this with my oncologists. I go to exceptionally, well educated oncologists. They have fellowships from Georgetown and Harvard.I am shutting down emotionally. This is a disgrace. Thank you to all of you who voted for Biden. We voted for Trump. Wouldn’t be in this situation if Trump had won. What a stupid country.
In an article from NPR it confirms that the shortage is due to lack of profitability for the drug companies. Weigh that against the moral issue, that hundreds of thousands of cancer patients could not survive without Carboplatin. I’m infuriated by the lack of a moral conscience on the part of the drug companies and the inability of the government to negotiate a “deal” with these companies.
I was told today at my oncologist visit what Jody was told. I posted about the shortage of carboplatin yesterday.I am on my 1st recurrence and I am to start chemo next week, without the carboplatin. I was told that Canada has carboplatin. The carboplatin that we use in the United States is produced in the United States. WHY is there a production problem of a CANCER drug in the United States??? Are you all afraid to speak the truth?
This is a disgrace.