Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Weymouth, MA

I have stage 3 ovarian cancer with a lot of ascites. Have had 4 chemo’s, full hysterectomy and the final 2 chemo’s. Dr said everything looks great and he’ll see me in 3 months. I have an appointment March 2. I see most ladies here have had maintenance ,after chemo, including my daughter.
If you didn’t have maintenance how are you doing ??? ( no braca genes) . God bless us all🙏❤️

February 9, 2023
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared diverse experiences with the decision to skip maintenance treatment after primary ovarian cancer therapy, with outcomes ranging... Read more

Members shared diverse experiences with the decision to skip maintenance treatment after primary ovarian cancer therapy, with outcomes ranging from years of remission to early recurrence. Several members described staying cancer-free for extended periods without maintenance drugs, including one member who has been NED for nearly nine years and another for over two years, while others experienced recurrence within months to a year, leading some to regret not pursuing maintenance despite side effects. A recurring theme was the deeply personal nature of this choice, balancing factors like BRCA status, quality of life concerns, severe drug reactions, age, and individual risk tolerance, with members emphasizing the importance of asking doctors directly about their reasoning and advocating for the path that feels right for each person's unique situation.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Anything that keeps you alive is a blessing as long as your quality of life is not compromised!

March 24, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Hi Judy I think you should call and ask your doctor why you weren't put on maintenance meds. Just to make sure a mistake wasn't made. I would not assume anything till you hear it from him. What if he forgot to prescribe them to you? Or at least you can find out why you don't have them if he didn't forget to prescribe them to you.

May 22, 2023 (edited)
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

That’s the key. Positive Thinking. Thankful ! Enjoy the good days, rest on the not so good days. 🙏🌻💪

May 21, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had stage 4 ovarian cancer, 3 rounds if chemo, surgery and three more tounds if chemo. My ca 125 went from 965 to 47 and cat scan shows all clear no residual cancer. I am not on a maintenance dose and will see my oncologist every 3 months. Last chemo March 30th. I am staying positive and praying. Stay strong.

May 20, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I have not taken any maintenance drugs. Surgery 1/2016, no recurrence and now NED. Neuropathy began in 2018, is tolerable with no drugs. Issues today are also do to age (89). Tylenol helps for pain otherwise try to find joy each day

July 16, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Florida, NY

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hacketts Cove Nova Scotia Canada

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fernandina Beach, FL