I have a friend who just had surgery and has been diagnosed Stage 3C. She's 40 years old with two younger children. I want to help her get as prepared as I can for the next steps with chemo (Carbo & Taxol). Appreciate any feedback you can share from your experiences. Tips on what to take with her to each session, reactions to drugs, things to help with nausea, things that brought you comfort, etc. I can share my experiences but the more knowledge and insights the better. Thank you!
These are all awesome.
I remember during taxol/carbo there were a few days that I just felt awful, nothing would bring me solace. Not food, my favorite shows, my favorite people, sleep…everything for lack of a better word, just sucked. I remember thinking to myself “thank goodness I don’t have to take care of young children, because I’m in no state of mind to be anyone’s mother.” Let her know it’s to be expected and it will pass and not to feel guilty on the days when she just wants to be left alone or is in so much discomfort she can only worry about herself.
You are such a kind friend.
I would also suggest she start meal prepping. Have all meals for the week made and all carpools and appointments either postponed or have a plan for someone else to take care of them.
And…expect bumps. And..it’s all going to be ok.
Have her consider keeping a journal from start to finish with chemo. Chemo brain can obscure memory. She can look back at every treatment to see how she did and what worked counteracting each perceived side effect she experienced. Also helps her remember how she felt each day between treatments so she can plan her real life between treatments.
@A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member, really great tips. Looking back on chemo I wish I had taken a cozy blanket. Ginger chews - good call. All of these are really helpful. Thank you.
Well I have to tell it once again and I am not bragging I just want to share my experience…I felt the healthiest on chemotherapy getting taxol and carboplatin working with a naturopath and a nutritionist! I took certain supplements. Was on a therapeutic keto diet fasted day before and day of chemo only drinking bone broth and herbal teas , I took L glutamine before chemo and after so I didn’t get drop foot or neuropathy. I had them cut my steroids each time to almost none by my last treatment.. I followed the Metabolic Approach to cancer by Naasha Winters working with naturopath who studied under her. Get in touch with Naturemed Clinic in Boulder Colorado! Ask for Sheila BEADES …. She’s fantastic. Still working with her three years later and still cancer free! Also google Believe Big a nonprofit Offers a lot of help too. Also read Radical Hope by Kelly A Turner. Pray meditate and exercise!!! Best of luck. Bless you and your friend 🙏🙏🙏
During Taxol, use ice packs on hands and feet and chew on ice (to cut down on mouth sores). I also took Claritin 3 days before treatment and 3 days after. Be prepared for GI issues like diarrhea or constipation. Drink lots of water, eat healthy, and take walks. Hugs