Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOvarianCancerTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member asked a question 💭
Kissee Mills, MO

I was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Just had initial visit with Gyno Oncologist but has a follow up on Oct 27th. I would like a second opinion but am being road blocked it seems that Dr doesn't want me to ask for a second opinion. I don't know what to do. I am a breast cancer survivor I had breast cancer 16 years ago at the age of 36. I have been in remission for 16 years. I really have no ideas what kind of questions to ask the dr. I wuld appreciate any help and guidance on this.

October 7, 2022
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members passionately encouraged seeking a second opinion for ovarian cancer, with many sharing how doing so literally saved their lives,... Read more

Members passionately encouraged seeking a second opinion for ovarian cancer, with many sharing how doing so literally saved their lives, including stories of doctors who initially gave hopeless prognoses being proven wrong by specialists who offered viable treatment plans. Several members emphasized that patients don't need permission from their current doctor to seek another opinion, that any resistance to this is a major red flag, and recommended specifically seeking gynecologic oncologists at major cancer centers like MD Anderson or City of Hope. A recurring theme was fierce advocacy for self-empowerment in cancer care, with members stressing that this is your life, your body, and your decision, and that persistence through insurance barriers and doctor egos is absolutely worth it.

A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

As a survivor of two types of breast cancer, one lobular 24 yrs ago & inflammatory metastatic 8 yrs. I am now Ovarian fighter since 2018 with chemo & recurrence in 2021 with full chemo. Was on Zejula PARP inhibitor 13 months and I now have a 2nd recurrence & have begun 6 cycles of chemo this week once again! My point in giving you my history is because second opinions saved my life twice and my local long time oncologist has ALWAYS welcomed my getting 2nd opinions. If a doc does not agree on going for another opinion RUN from that doc, it's a Red Flag!

November 13, 2022
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

Even if you're happy with your doctor, I've found that every doctor has some unique insight. I went through 5 doctors. The first 4 all said my tumor was inoperable. Doctor 5 recommended surgery, that was in 2014. Doctor #1 told me I was out of options. I'd be dead if I had not questioned his advice. Never be afraid to get 2nd, 3rd or more opinions. This is YOUR life.

October 16, 2022
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I had my surgery at University of Chicago Medicine and spent 5 days in the hospital. They also removed my appendix & gallbladder. I don’t really know how HIPEC affected my recovery from surgery, but it has been 3 years and 3 mos. and I have not had a recurrence yet (knock on wood). I also took Lynparza for 2 years following my last chemo treatment.

February 6, 2023
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion. I'd probably be dead if I listened to the first oncologist I was sent to. My life isn't what it used to be for sure but I'm not dead.

November 11, 2022
A MyOvarianCancerTeam Member

I requested a second opinion from my primary care MD and had already checked with my insurance to see where I could go in network. I was not unhappy with my first gynecological oncologist but I ended up having my debulking surgery at a larger medical center that offered HIPEC treatment and had a larger surgical team to remove my appendix & gallbladder as well. Definitely glad I did!

October 26, 2022

Related Questions

View All